Consultation Games

I’m appalled. You are sowing the destruction of casual rengo (maybe all rengo) with this bstardization of the game.

Casual rengo did not grow out of the idea of having a place to consult in a rengo game, and that has never happened in the casual rengo games I have played. It came about as a way to protect games where one or more people leave the game (honorably through resignation, or selfishly through timeout). It was a solution to the question of whether the clock should apply to the whole team or to individual players.

Hijacking rengo as a vehicle for consultation is wrong. The essence of rengo is the opposite of consultation, so this action will turn the game upside-down. The unique appeal of rengo is that the players must work with teammates of different strengths. This has spawned unique tactics to leverage the situation. Strong players must reconcile themselves to bad moves by weaker players and perhaps discover how to guide weaker players into the right direction of play (perhaps choosing solid play that does not require deep reading). Weaker players struggle to penetrate the reasoning behind their stronger teammate’s moves (a situation that is almost as good as a teaching game), and at a crucial juncture they can play a sente move to throw the important strategic decision into the lap of their stronger teammate (I have done this several times in the games I have played). All of this is destroyed by allowing consultation.

Don’t misconstrue what I say, as I actually like a consultation game per se, which has unique attractions quite different from rengo. I played in an unofficial consultation tournament with three teams, and the mechanics of that arrangement worked just fine.

If you are adamant about this, as you seem to be, then the rengo documentation needs to be changed (see the Ethical Requirements section, where consultation is forbidden). That is, if the documentation still means anything.

What’s next? Will botting be permitted (as on at least one other server) if a mod thinks it’s a good idea?

2 Likes