Controversial Go opinions

Some things are so hilarious and tragic at the same time. It doesn’t get more Russian than this, I guess, if I’m not mistaken. In Russia, and let us do away with the delusional Euphemism normally put before it, you break arms to avoid accidents in moral judgement.

I seriously think that standard go board sizes should always be a multiple of 6, then plus 1.

So 7x7, 13x13, 19x19, 25x25, 31x31, 37x37. 9x9 completely throws of one of the mathematical balances we got from switching to 19x19, and therefore, 9x9 is just a bad board size. Please use 7x7 instead. Or 1x1 if you have to.

JethOrensin is right that we really ought to apply the adage do not attribute to malice what could be instead explained by incompetence. Even if most of us our sexist or classist or racist or any other ist in some way, most people. There is another adage that I believe is widely popular in Africa, about a tribe where when someone does a bad thing, everyone in the village gathers around that person to tell that person about all the good things they did, to tell them they’re actually not like that, that they’re better than the bad thing they’ve done. While I don’t really believe in forgiveness and redemption, I do believe we should asymptomatically orient ourselves in that direction.

I do believe it is the . The point about.

Iwamoto could have made a laundry list of reasons why there’s no point promoting go in the west since go is not well known enough, oxymoronic isn’t it, it would difficult and there’d be ‘complexities’. He didn’t. How can the people who celebrate him reject his ideals? Are we going to give him the ‘I have a dream’ treatment? The Iwamoto award recognises people who spread go in general but I think it should focus on those who do what Iwamoto did, going into no-personsland in go territory and promoting go in populations that haven’t heard of it or are not involved, be it by gender or geographic location, and going through personal hardships to do it. We’ve lost the Iwamoto spirit and expect some organisation to do stuff for us, and on that Jeth is exactly on point. We’re not talking about doing what’s easy. We choose to make go great again not because it’s easy, but because it’s hard, and we go players don’t shy away from a challenge. How can we convince people to play a game some might think is to hard or mentally complex for .Who knows, you might find the next Einstein or Lionel Messi Ramanujan in a poor run-down school in Africa when all you were doing is going the extra mile to promote go precisely where it’s more difficult. A problem in society is that too many of us do things like buy lottery tickets, expecting and feeling entitled to extraordinary results when we did not take extraordinary actions, whenever it’s something we care about, but if it’s for your boss, suddenly you would work overtime to make your boss rich to get chicken change. That’s the very definition of a slave mentality. Set low ambitions for what you care about but set high ambitions for benefits for those above you. if I took it more seriously to get out of my comfort zone MYSELF, I might have made some progress on this front.

In terms of inclusivity and potential growth, we include all 8 billion of the human family, with no ifs and no buts, and no second placing to physical sports, like the number one sport in the world that doesn’t even have a name we can agree on. At least all of the three names of go are universally recognised as referring to the same game. Make me say soccer. Just try and make me😂

2 Likes