Controversial Go opinions

Seems like mirror go would be a lot more dangerous.

2 Likes

EGF should introduce a ruleset based on Baarle rules (above) plus:

• suicide is allowed;
  • prisoners give twice as much points.
6 Likes

Chinese half-counting is very fast and easy. You have 361 intersections and they are either black or white, so you only count black stones + territory, and arrange them into rectangular groups.

3 Likes

Or you fill up all Black territory, remove four Black stones (for 7.5 komi) and all White stones, and see if Black can fill more than half of the board.

1 Like

Ing rules would be really nice if stones didn’t keep going missing from bowls

2 Likes

19 x 19 is neither superior nor inherently more interesting than smaller board sizes. All players on OGS should be required to play at least 10 % of their ranked games on 9 x 9 and another 10 % on 13 x 13.

Moreover, ranked games on other boards should become possible too, even if they are not corporated into new sub-ratings for the chart.

6 Likes

Ranked games should have

• fixed settings: 19×19, territory (button) rules, 6 komi, Fischer time 20/10
  • random pairing similar to MacMahon, but with higher rating spread
  • handicap according to rank difference, but at random +/– 1

Start rounds of 1.5 hour games every two hours.

2 Likes

The undo button should be removed.

13 Likes

Oh and it should be pronounces “Gooey”

6 Likes

Now the real question is- do you pronounce it 바둑 or buh-DOOK?

5 Likes

How about a controversial classification by Twitch

while

15 Likes

Yes, the classification is wrong, wrong, wrong…

I’m really surprised why Go has so few viewers?
Is it because there are no good or very few Go streamers / personalities?
Does it need an official Steam game, to show up in people’s Twitch, Steam, and Discord channels?
It’s just very curious…

Like this one from @wolfeystudios?

2 Likes

It has very few viewers because it has so few players.
You need a large player pool to attract viewers, and among those, some might also have the personality/desire to become good streamers.

It’s hard to get players when the game takes a long time to get into.
Chess might be a complicated game as well, but a potential defeat is usually 3 or 4 moves away (with a forced checkmate). So even if you don’t see it at first, you’ll see the consequences of a blunder relatively quickly.
In Go, it might take 20 moves until you realise that you’ve lost by 5 points if you continue playing.

5 Likes

Only 90s ki-- er, pre-2019 (?) players will remember the Go (game) category.

By the way, as someone who’s spent a little while learning shogi, I returned with an appreciation that there are actually a lot of people streaming Go right now. Especially compared to that “pre-2019” era.

For there to be even 1-5 streams active most of the day’s an accomplishment a lot of games don’t have.

As for viewers, there are Go streamers like Clossius who can pull a hundred people sometimes just to watch a regular stream, and EGF events get even more.

6 Likes

Since the game originated in China, we Westerners should all call it “weiqi”. It sounds way cooler than “go” or “baduk” (it would also make it easier to Google)!

3 Likes

I wonder when, and what, is the first appearance of the name “Go”.

In De Ludis Orientalis Libri Duo, a Latin game book written by an Englishman in the 17th C., it’s given the name of Circumveniendi Ludus Chinensium, the Chinese Surrounding Game.

That might well have been a calque from 圍棋 (sim. 围棋) wéiqí, since the book draws – iirc – on exclusively Chinese sources for the game.

https://senseis.xmp.net/?DeLudisOrientalibusLibriDuo

I think circumvenia (-ae declension, ie. F1) works well as a modern Latin name for the game.

(Classical /kirkumwenia/, Ecclesiastical /chir1kumvenia/, English /sur2kumvenia/ or /surkumvi:nia/)

1 as in beer, 2 as in curl

2 Likes

5 Likes

Teaching with AI tools is utterly useless for anyone except very high level players, and a “teacher” who constantly refers to what AI would do is not actually teaching anything.

8 Likes

I was about to write a reply in disagreement, until I noticed the topic this is in :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes