Corner invasion reponse

I started watching 12 Week Miracle on Baduk TV and there is one thing about the response to corner invasions that confuse me, but I might have misunderstood the pattern. If I have understood the Japanese Go books (although most of the ones available in English were written in the 1970s and are a bit old), the normal response to a knights attack to a corner star point is to extend a one space jump on the same line on the opposite side. But on the Korean show 12 Week Miracle, one of the pros claim that the best response is a knights move to the third line on the opposite side. Is this a difference between Japanese and Korean Go or is the Japanese rule not applicable to the corner star point but only to a 3-4 point?

“A” here

is the most common local response in pro games.

2 Likes

But why do the old Japanese Go books from the 1970s suggest D as the normal response?

I don’t have any of those books, sorry I can’t help there.
A bit more reading on the low approach/extension to 4-4

perhaps there could be some link/info about the '70s joseki.

1 Like

This should be more relevant.

Ok I found that it was in the 1990s that the knight response become the common one instead of the one space jump: 4-4 point low approach high extension at Sensei's Library

1 Like

Haruyama and Nagahara state in the Basic Techniques of Go (from around the 1970s) that the knight response is good but that the one-space response is better because it gives more influence towards the center but apparently this is an outdated approach.

those are standard responses to approach, bots like them:

but its never clear when to use which

1 Like

standard invasion responses:

again, never clear when to use which

“approach” is not “invasion”

2 Likes

A and D both are ok. A is more popular now. A focuses a little more on territory but still with quite some ajis, while D on outside with 3-3 direct invasion livable.

The differences between josekis not fashionable now (many due to AI) and AI ones are ignorable to most of us. The key to study josekies is the rationals behind the sequence and how to choose based on the whole board position.

Nick sibicky has made pretty good video about “9 responses to 4-4 low approach”, its bit outdated now in the modern ai era but the principles still apply ^^

3 Likes

In the past and still today, B is commonly played when black already has a stone present at the triangle mark. You just don’t see this very much anymore because corners tend to be approached earlier these days, before there is any black stone present around the triangle mark.

Even without such a supporting stone around the triangle mark, black may still play B instead of A to more or less ensure that white loses sente from playing that approach.
In the past, black would probably play neither A nor B in that situation (no stone present around the triangle mark) and instead opt for some pincer on the right side, but pincers have fallen out of favour due to AI’s dislike for them, so you don’t see pincers as much anymore at higher levels of play.

3 Likes

The basic question of why this or that is the real question, and AI, fashion and such are casting shadows on this.
When starting to look how to share a corner, just following standard (joseki) is making things easier, especially if both players agree to follow patterns. Now it’s fruitful to try moves that are not in the book. Why are they worse? How to answer? Keep experimenting.
To answer more specifically here, A and B are very different moves. B was favored because it’s getting to the center so it’s allowing power plays against anything around. That makes 2 stones strongly connected, more like a aircraft carrier as a fishing boat. But that leaves the side quite open especially because of the peep threat at P17.
A is more restrained toward the center but closes the side. Thing is that you will have to develop it in a twistle way, not submissing all the time and not let your opponent force you to be surrounded and build too much influence. So A may be fashion today but not so easy as it looks when you know very few on go mechanics.

1 Like

I think these professional players just expressed their personal preference, or may be they were explaining that jump is a better choice in some specific opening, like the three stars or Chinese opening as it gives more influence towards the center.

Jump is not outdated, but it is more center-oriented, knight move would be a more simple and defensive approach.