Correspondence game listed in live games list / Disconnection

Hi,

I hope this topic has never been raised before (did not find anything about it on our forum).

I recently played the following settings :
Correspondence
Canadian
No main time
1 byo period of 50 stones / day.

For me it is the perfect mix between live and correspondence :slight_smile:

Problem is the game is proposed in live games list.
So if my opponent or me leave the table, with much time left at the clock, after 5mn, we lose by disconnection.

I think problem would be solved if this game appeared in correspondence list.

What do you think ?

Thanks for helping ^^

1 Like

I assume this is the game you refer to?

Yes !

My guess is that that is faster than the bottom limit for correspondence. I’m not entirely sure, but I seem to recall that the bottom limit is an average of 1 move per hour.

1 Like

it counted as Correspondence in game history
disconnection feature only works in not Correspondence

conclusion: disconnection feature uses one criteria of what is Correspondence
while game history uses other criteria of what is Correspondence
so there is no single united function of “Correspondence criteria” that other functions use, which is bad code design
or code design is good, but someone ignored it when modified something

2 Likes

Thanks to all for your inputs.
Must I write to someone in particular to try to fix this problem ?

Maybe you could first propose where should be the boundaries between fast Correspondance and long live games, following your own experience?
That may be not yet perfect.

I’m not sure I’m able to answer this metaphysic question :slight_smile:

That said, when I chose a “correspondence” game, I’d like playing a correspondence game. In other words a game in which I’m not disconnected after 5mn. Perhaps am I the only one.
In this case, you can forget my question.

Once again, when you have a real life aside, it is really cool to find clock settings that allow you to play real time when available, and not spending 2 weeks, 2 months or 2 years on a correspondence game.

1 Like

Nothing metaphysic in proposing a scale with each limits for live and one for correspondance. It’s interesting to fix what we want.

Yes sure, i dunno how it works in the background, if it’s just a matter of a Correspondance vs live choice ot if it’s determined by a calculation posteriorly from the time setting (which could be detrimental in some cases like yours)

Time and perception of it, are, from my point of view, very personal. So trying to draw a frontier is useless, unless we have time left to deal with non go related questions.

So perhaps could we simply think about a box to tick, which would activate or not the disconnection procedure already implemented ?

2 Likes

@AJR makes a good point. There may be overlap between “Fast Correspondence” and “Slow Live”, but that’s not really relevant. If someone creates a game with speed set to “Correspondence”, then it would be logical that it follow the Correspondence rules (including no disconnection timer).

2 Likes

If we do want to move the line though…

Perhaps the time_per_move threshold should be closer to 5 minutes than one hour. There are two ways to arrive at this value:

• The disconnection timer is already 5 minutes
  • 16 / 250 * 60 = 3.84
    • ~16 waking hours in a day
    • ~ 250 moves per game
    • 60 minutes in an hour
    • 3.84 is approximately 5
1 Like

As already stated, I think the boundary between live games and correspondence games is an average speed of 1 hour per move IIRC. The OP’s game was faster than that, and therefore the system classified it as a live game. It consequently appeared in the challenge list as live (as the OP seems to imply) and had a disconnection timer. If this is correct, the only mystery is why it has a correspondence icon in the game history. Two possibilities suggest themselves: (1) the history list simply follows the self-categorization by the game creator without regard to the specifications, or (2) the time boundary was changed at some point in the past, and the coding for the icon was not updated.

I suppose, in terms of what really is correspondence, it’s probably the expectation that you’ll leave and come back to the game at some stage, and likely multiple times over the course of the game.

If the OP’s settings are ~2 stones an hour (50/24) on average, one question is, is a move every 30 minutes on average correspondence, more so than

I know of course the line is always arbitrary, you could always nudge it this way or that based on user experience or personal preference. I can imagine though, that you might want to be online at the same time as your opponent to get ~50 moves played in a day to not time out, so it is maybe a semi-live setting? More like play and adjourn?

I suppose to the OP, you could try

Correspondence
Canadian
No main time
1 byo period of 24 stones / day.

and see if that works out, and progresses similarly to games you’d expect? Also to see if that setting does or does not have a disconnect timer.

Ok I can try, thanks :slight_smile:

That won’t work if the standard is “equal to or greater than,” rather than just “greater than.” I can’t remember which it is. 23 stones per day would be safer.

1 Like

If I’m not wrong, it would lead to a game of approximatively 10 ten days. That’s too long for me.

I understand things can’t change just for me.
So if you have other ideas of settings reducing the live / correspondence gap, I would be really interested.

Thanks to all for your contributions !

There is a whole group dedicated to fast correspondence - maybe check out what settings they have experimented with? Also, there is some culture element to the fast games there. In other words, the time settings themselves may be long enough for Corr, but the games end quicker than 10 days because everyone likes their games fast.

1 Like

Thanks ! I was already a member.
I’ve checked again to understand why I’ve never jumped in : for instance the next tournament, that will open in May, is 2 weeks of absolute time per player.

So even if some players get the culture of fast game you debscribe, perspective of starting a 4 week-game is a non sense for me (and just for me of course). Because I know a large number of players who are not affraid of playing 4 months and more …

23/day times two players equals 46/day, which would mean 5 or 6 days for an average game (230-276 moves),