Correspondence handicap arena tournaments

We don’t have much of a handicap-culture here at OGS. A few people, myself included, think that’s worth changing. An entirey unrelated topic recently discussed was that arena tournaments (you can play as many games as you have time for) would be nice.

I thought I’d combine those two ideas. Well, tbh I think the arena thing was discussed for live play mostly, I’m sort of transferring that into correspondence. The idea is there will be a series of correspondence handicap round robin tournaments. You can participate in as many or as few as you want, all games played within the year 2024 count. More details are on the group page: https://online-go.com/group/13655

The first tournament is open for registration, but won’t start before January 1st: https://online-go.com/tournament/108045

12 Likes

I like this idea. The combination of flexibility in how many games to join and a persistent scoreboard is pretty neat.

Alas, I’m used to the fact that handicap games are more educational games than competitive ones. But I sincerely wish you good luck with your endeavor, especially when I think about how difficult it will be to keep track of all the points for each participant.

Thanks.

I have a script already that pulls the points from OGS. All I need to maintain manually is the list of tournaments, so it’s not that bad.

2 Likes

The tournament currently open is 10 player one (with 3 spots still open), so 9 games for everyone. I will also offer smaller ones in the future (4 or 5 players), so people who don’t want to commit to 9 games at once can also participate,

1 Like

The first tournament is full. I created a second one: Handicap Arena 2024 - 002

This only has 5 players, so 4 games for everyone.

3 Likes

@emaolivia71 I am not sure if you are a spammer or if your computer is infected by malware and included that link without you knowing. In the latter case you’d better do something against it.

The second tournament was full, so I opened a 3rd one: Handicap Arena 2024 - 003

2 Likes

Would love to play more handicap tournaments as I am a beginner so I face much stronger opponents most of the time.

2 Likes

10 days until we start. So far 22 players have signed up for at least one of the 3 tournaments. There are still 2 spots open in this one: Handicap Arena 2024 - 003 Once those are taken I’ll create the next one with 5 players.

1 Like

Number 3 is full, so here’s number 4: Handicap Arena 2024 - 004

The first 4 are full, so here is number 5: Handicap Arena 2024 - 005

This is set up for 10 players. Now I am wondering, if the 10 spots are not taken at the start time will the tournament start or not? Does anyone know?

Someone dropped out, so there is an empty spot on #3 again.

1 Like

Joined ^^

I think that it won’t start, as the minimum number of players was set to 10 when creating the tournament, it seems.

1 Like

Thanks, that is what I had been hoping for.

1 Like

Thanks for the topic.
I’ve joined !
Handicap gams are a vary good thing for weiqi

1 Like

The year has started (Happy New Year everyone), so has the tournament series. So far 27 players have signed up, the first 4 tournaments are running and a fifth (Handicap Arena 2024 - 005) is open and will start as soon as all 10 spots are taken (6 open atm).

2 Likes

Meanwhile tournament #6 is running. Also the standings table Handicap Arena looks slightly more interesting now, albeit for a boring reason: seemingly a player was surprised that games in a tournament with handicap auto setting, with ‘handicap’ in the title organised in a group with ‘handicap’ in the name was played with handicap, so they resigned immediately.

#7 is open for registration.

1 Like

We have a single player in the lead now with 3 points: For Our Planet

Only one spot still open in touranment 7, so that should start soon.

I just updated the standings again on the group page. For Our Planet has a firm grip on the lead, with a 4 points gap behind them.

Meanwhile tournament 9 is open for registration.