Could I have captured this corner?

Hello, long time reader and casual baduk player here.
I just had an exciting game that I managed to scrape by with a win but also had a question.

Like a lot of lower level players I’m not very good at attacking behind an opponent…
Around move 84 I tried to attack the lower right corner and failed. Could I have been successful? I tried a few different variations but it looks like I was just one liberty short no matter what. Also my fight on the top right wasn’t very pretty and I was wondering if I could have done a better job earlier with it.

If anyone would be willing to take a quick look that would be great. Thanks!

Link to the game:

2 Likes

After your attack, it’s up to Black to respond. He has three options:

• M3 and KobA’s variation (White turns the whole corner into sente seki)
  • L2, sacrifice the stones, return to K2 (Black keeps seven points in the corner, White gets sente)
  • L2, sacrifice the stones, tenuki – now White gets to capture K3 and Black has to make a temporary false-eye shape to give himself liberties to capture the F1 group
2 Likes

Seems like M1 can lead to either seki or Ko depending on how one wants to play it.

1 Like

Seki is the best result black can get from white playing M1. What ko are you seeing?

1 Like

Adding my variations to chat, hopefully that helps.

2 Likes

Okay, but any ko has to be initiated by black, and black has no good ko threats. So it seems a bit redundant to establish that black can make a ko if he wants to.

2 Likes

If Black omits playing J2 in my variations white can just kill the black stones at M3, Black is forced to play J2 and then white can start the ko by playing J1 if they so choose or white can choose to just play seki with K1.

It is not Blacks Choice, it is Whites choice. If I am wrong you are free to post a variation showing me.

3 Likes

Oh, you are right. My mistake.

3 Likes

Wow thanks a ton for all the input guys! Guess I have have a variation or two to look at this morning. ^^

1 Like