Counting with other number systems

Are you a hexadecimalist? I’m a dozenalist, but hex would be my second choice for everyday use, and I think it should coexist with dozenal and be used natively when appropriate to the task.

3 Likes

I too am a dozenalist, but I think I would put hexal above hexadecimal. The latter only really has being a power of 2 going for it. Sure you gain integer quarters, but thirds are still recurring. Plus base-16, while possible to display on your hands, lacks the same kind of elegant solutions that base-12 and base-6 have.

My favourite dozenal advocation video:

2 Likes

Yeah, hexal is up there, maybe I should swap it and hex. I think I may have been conflating which base besides dozenal I would want in parallel use (definitely hex), with which base would be the best everyday use base if dozenal weren’t an option.

1 Like

Yeah, I think thanks to computers, binary and hex will always have their place regardless of our primary base being 10, 12, or 6.

1 Like

“Suddenly, all those horrible things that happen in decimal, don’t happen in dozenal”

Conveniently ignores fractions with denominators that don’t divide 12

Anyway though, maybe it would better for kids, and the average person, to count in dozenal, I don’t know.

2 Likes

This all sounds a bit old money…

2 Likes

Happy new year 1206 then.

6 Likes

Iirc, when Temujin was elected Ghenghis Khan.
2022, on brand.

1 Like

Well you gotta keep the video concise :wink:
Really the only factor decimal is better for is 5, but surely gaining 3, 4, and 6 are worth losing 5 for.

Unfortunately it’s only really better if everyone does it. It would take another change similar to what France did with the metric system, but probably harder today to implement sadly. But objectively I’m quite convinced that if everyone learnt base-12 from birth it would be easier. Shame for all those people already alive I guess :sweat_smile:

There is a reason we went to the effort of commercing in 12 even with base-10 counting. It would be even easier if we counted in base-12 too. :slightly_smiling_face:

Thank you :heart:

Really? TMYK…

3 Likes

I think, by other tribe leaders. Not 21st century elected. Anyway, 1206 Mongolian Empire established maybe is more accurate. Still on brand for 2022.

1 Like

A truly great and powerful empire, this can mean only good things for us going forward :heart::wink:

1 Like

Let’s wait until we get 12 fingers

1 Like

Watch until the end :wink:

1 Like

My bad (can’t watch )

Oh fair enough, this picture explains how you can use pads rather than whole fingers to easily count to 12 on one hand :slightly_smiling_face:

dozenal

6 Likes

Thanks

1 Like

I see 14 pads though :smirk:

the thumb works as a pointer so you can count one-handed :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Just go with binary and you can count to 15 with just four fingers, 31 if you includes your thumb.

1 Like

The biggest immediate issue with this is the inability for most humans to raise their ring finger independently of their middle finger, a function critical for binary counting.

2 Likes