Dear players, I just played my very first game. My opponent (18k) lost by

… time out. Can you please judge the final position and tell me your evaluation. If I’ve made big blunders please tell me again

I made a review for you. Feel free to ask any questions here and me or one of the higher rated players will get back to you! ^.^

Thank you! I’m glad I was able to understand some of the variations. I’m not familiar with the “go language” yet, so I have a hard time understanding your conclusions.

I’ll try to explain a few of the terms that I use then:

Joseki: A series of common moves that give a fair result to both players.

Sente: A move which takes or keeps the initiative. Also, to have the initiative. A sente move is one your opponent needs to respond to.

Gote: The opposite of sente. A move which loses the initiative. A gote move may be one your opponent needs to respond to as well, but it is one which you will have to play the last stone in the sequence.

Eyes: Any territory which is completely surrounded by one player’s stones. A shape with two eyes generally can not be killed, but not all groups need to make two eyes. If a group has enough room that it could never die, it does not need to form definite eyes. A group which is surrounded and small typically needs to make two definite eyes, or a shape which can always make two eyes.

Rise/Descend/Extend: All of these moves are typically said using the nearest edge of the board as reference. If you play towards the center you are playing ‘up’. If you play towards the edge, you are ‘descending’. If you play parallel to an edge, you are extending.

Atari: A group which has only one liberty is in atari

Ladder: A common pattern in which one player continually places the other in atari until he reaches an edge and is captured. The inside stones will look very similar to a staircase or ladder.

Ladder Breaker: A stone which interferes with a ladder, making it so that the ladder can no longer reach the edge of the board.

Ko: a pattern in which two players can recapture the same stones over and over. Typically, after one player captures, the other player will try to find a ‘Ko threat’, or a move that their opponent must respond to, in order to get sente and take the stone in the Ko.

Ko for life: A Ko in which one player’s stones can only live if that player wins a Ko fight.

Well, that ended up being a lot of stuff. Some of these concepts are more advanced (Ko, Ko for life, Sente & Gote) and simply being aware of them is enough for your level. For now, you are playing fairly well for your level. Your next step should probably be to look into some basic concepts in Life and Death. Once you learn Life and Death, studying it will become very useful to improving at Go. You can start here:

Again, feel free to ask for help. We’re all happy to assist here!

Hello @beginner83,

Check out this compilation of Go resources: https://online-go.com/docs/other-go-resources

Many of these links can help you learn the game better.

I can especially recommend Sensei’s Library, a wiki full of Go information. Whenever you see a new Go term, you can look it up there. Beware, not all articles are high quality. :wink:

The Puzzle section here on OGS contains various Go problems for all levels. If you want to become SDK (single-digit kyu) strength as fast as possible, you should train your reading skills with them.

Great, thank you all!

What’s tenuki? You mention it on move 18.

Tenuki means to play elsewhere

1 Like

ImprobableBlob has it correct here. To Tenuki is to play away from a local situation. Generally when you do this you’ll go looking for big moves elsewhere on the board, but sometimes you’ll also be returning to situations that may have changed since you were playing there last.

2 Likes