December AI Updates

Is there a GUIDE on using the AI? I just noticed it for the 1st time and messed around with it, but I would like to understand how to USE it, and understand it (for example there are numbers for some critical moves that have zero meaning to me atm).

I did check the FAQ quickly but no “AI Guide” is listed, except something not related about setting up custom bots.

3 Likes

Yeah I thought I was, clearly not, I’ll look into it

5 Likes

I have not written a guide, some sort of integrated help for the site in general is something that I’ve been wanting to implement for quite some time now.

4 Likes

Although really you should take the rest of the year off! Thank you so much for all you do!

6 Likes

Thank you for all your efforts. It’s greatly appreciated and I intend one way or another to support OGS one way or another, so the question for the guide on what the AI means in it’s review is of course asked as a “plus” to that. It’s still very usable on variations the AI spots without really understanding the numbers/weights. Thank you again.

3 Likes

Try this:

The screenshots are the old design, but it should be still correct.

6 Likes

that’s for me, flovo, and eugene to sort out later :wink: haha

2 Likes

I’m really pleased with the extension to 9x9 and allowance for different komi.

I DO intend to use this great feature occasionally.

Currently however, I have ‘Disable AI review’ ticked in settings. The site is still doing the analysis and sending the accompanying notification.

I don’t much mind this but I’m concerned that the OGS AI feature may be doing more work and using more resources than it has to. Is this an issue @anoek ?

3 Likes

AFAIK ‘diable AI review’ only hides the display elements, and doesn’t change server behaviour… maybe it could…?

3 Likes

That’s intended, that way your opponent can still see the review

6 Likes

How strong is KataGo ? I can use TianRang to test it.

1 Like

KataGo is slightly weaker than LeelaZero, but brings several other advantages to the table.
(having said that, it is still stronger than the strongest pros)

4 Likes

Well, I heard next month KataGo is going to be 40b, and surpsingly some owners can train LZ’s latest network to 80b. But as long as KataGo keep updating new networks it will enventually be stronger than LZ.

1 Like

Honestly, at the point of “stronger than any human alive” I think it becomes a moot point

1 Like

I am particularly bad at low handicap games as white. Does your AI handle these? Other “brands” do not.

2 Likes

MIne can do handicaps until next month or even later.

1 Like

I’m not so sure lz is stronger, in my tests katago was beating lz pretty reliably with less wall clock time

2 Likes

I believe the current accessible version of Katago is about as strong as Leela Zero network 200 if the website is using the 20 block version of Katago.

1 Like

Maybe per playout, but it can perform notably more playouts per second so if you give them comparable resources, I was seeing it beat lz most of the time

2 Likes

https://github.com/lightvector/KataGo the comparison is based on visit parity at least that is what Lightvector stated.

2 Likes