December AI Updates

There is option to turn estimation off.
It should exist or not exist. There is no sense in nearly random answer about score.

2 Likes

What komi does KataGo assume for 9 x 9 and 13 x 13? Default for Chinese rules on OGS is 5.5 for each, but I’ve found that most people believe 7.5 would make more sense for each. Anyone know which komi KataGo was trained for?

3 Likes

I believe KataGo is unique in that it handles variable komi. Someone correct me if I’m wrong

3 Likes

It does handle variable komi, and we feed it the komi from the game. As for training, my understanding is it takes the 19x19 network and some some clever hackery to make it work with other sizes, so while it’s probably technically weaker on non 19x19 boards, it seems to do pretty good.

3 Likes

Maybe not the right place but can anyone explain what’s going on here? White won by 0.5 but AI says black wins by 1.5… thanks!

2 Likes

The AI is showing a difference between Chinese and Japanese rules, as you said. The game used Japanese rules; the AI used Chinese rules. If you look back a few moves, you’ll see that the AI wanted Black to take the last dame instead of filling the ko. That’s characteristic of Chinese rules but makes little sense under Japanese rules. The AI also says that White’s losing move was passing instead of taking the last dame. That’s another tell.

P.S.: it would be cool if @anoek could configure KataGo to use lightvector’s territory ruleset in the KataGo config file when it evaluates Japanese ruleset games. But that may not be easy to do.

5 Likes

Wow - that is seriously awesome! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks, and so Chinese needing 7.5 komi top get the right result? Fascinated to know what the AI graph should look like! Presumably could be quite different with 7.5 komi
Or is AI graph always going to look odd if there’s only half a point in it?

2 Likes

Is there a GUIDE on using the AI? I just noticed it for the 1st time and messed around with it, but I would like to understand how to USE it, and understand it (for example there are numbers for some critical moves that have zero meaning to me atm).

I did check the FAQ quickly but no “AI Guide” is listed, except something not related about setting up custom bots.

3 Likes

Yeah I thought I was, clearly not, I’ll look into it

5 Likes

I have not written a guide, some sort of integrated help for the site in general is something that I’ve been wanting to implement for quite some time now.

4 Likes

Although really you should take the rest of the year off! Thank you so much for all you do!

6 Likes

Thank you for all your efforts. It’s greatly appreciated and I intend one way or another to support OGS one way or another, so the question for the guide on what the AI means in it’s review is of course asked as a “plus” to that. It’s still very usable on variations the AI spots without really understanding the numbers/weights. Thank you again.

3 Likes

Try this:

The screenshots are the old design, but it should be still correct.

6 Likes

that’s for me, flovo, and eugene to sort out later :wink: haha

2 Likes

I’m really pleased with the extension to 9x9 and allowance for different komi.

I DO intend to use this great feature occasionally.

Currently however, I have ‘Disable AI review’ ticked in settings. The site is still doing the analysis and sending the accompanying notification.

I don’t much mind this but I’m concerned that the OGS AI feature may be doing more work and using more resources than it has to. Is this an issue @anoek ?

3 Likes

AFAIK ‘diable AI review’ only hides the display elements, and doesn’t change server behaviour… maybe it could…?

3 Likes

That’s intended, that way your opponent can still see the review

6 Likes

How strong is KataGo ? I can use TianRang to test it.

1 Like

KataGo is slightly weaker than LeelaZero, but brings several other advantages to the table.
(having said that, it is still stronger than the strongest pros)

4 Likes