Diplomatic Go 🗡 The First Game

If you do not want to add this feature, I am not going to try to change your mind. Maybe the description of the game could include this “workaround” as a possible option for a player who wishes to resign? I feel like new players should be informed about what to do in this case. I understand that it is regrettable if a player wishes to stop playing, but I believe this is inevitably going to happen should this variant grow in popularity.

I should clarify my position. In general, I am against adjusting the rules/mechanics of this ongoing game, unless if the players all unanimously agree to the change, or if I believe there is a significant flaw and at least all but one of the players agree to the change, i.e., this second case is to cover the case that the one holdout might be the one benefiting from a major game-breaking rules flaw.

However, for future games, the rules are completely flexible, and I would fully expect a lot game mechanics to be potentially tweaked. I personally do not prefer your suggested resign mechanic, but whether it might be included into a future game would entirely depend on the collective decision of the players and arbiter. I imagine it will be like how we play Werewolf here on these forums. The game is just a general concept, with its specifics evolving each time.

I do agree that the drop-out/resign contingencies could use further work. In this regard, I think it is also important to distinguish between a player that:

1. Wishes to drop out of a game (or does so abruptly without notice).
  2. Wishes to submit passes and/or votes resign for the rest of the game.
  3. Wishes to submit passes and/or votes resign for now, but maybe starts playing more actively later.

In the first case, I would seek to find a replacement, just as I did for placing you into the game.

In the latter two cases, the player is essentially still part of the game, since taking either path could be part of their strategic plan to affect the outcome of the game as they wish. A player in these cases has the workaround of using a “standing order” for convenience, however, I would not want to have a mechanism that would irrevocably commit a player to case 2 and confirm their intentions to the other player through an arbiter announcement.

2 Likes

I’m sorry but somehow I can’t follow you. I fear that I did not formulate my arguments well, so please allow me to try again in a condensed form of short statements.

1.) The purpose of the game is to create a fun and enjoyable experience for players and other people involved.

2.) If various kinds of people play the game and different board positions arise, it is likely and should be expected that there will be situations where some but not all players want to continue playing.

3.) Players have the right to stop playing at any time and regardless of the reason.

4.) When players want to stop playing prematurely, they should not have to feel bad about it, or feel compelled to keep playing.

5.) How to proceed in the event that some but not all players wish to continue playing the game, should be well-defined.

As I see it, statements 2.) to 5.) are implications of 1.) As of now I don’t feel like all of these points are taken care of, and my proposing of a resignation mechanic was merely one suggestion. Furthermore I’m not proposing to change the rules of the ongoing game. This is only for future games.

1 Like

I cannot force anyone to continue playing, of course, and if someone decides to leave the game, I try to find a replacement. If a player wants to stop playing, but they do not want me to find a replacement, they could order standing orders. I think this is what I’ve said above, and could you clarify which specific points you feel are not being addressed?

While it is not fun for someone to feel compelled to continue playing in a game, it is also not fun for the other players to have opponents that quit in the middle of the game, and it is certainly inconvenient to the organizer to have to find replacement players. For games that I personally host in the future, I intend to recruit players that do make a solid effort to commit to the game. Of course, various life events do happen, and people may have to sometimes drop out (and that is understandable), but I don’t want to deal with players that are just involved on a whim, since in my opinion, it’s quite disrespectful to the other players and host that are putting in a lot of time to participate.

I’m not sure how your mechanism proposal really addresses all of your numbered concerns as well. I think the main difference is that your resign mechanic irrevocably and publicly commits the player to passing in all remaining turns, whereas the current status quo (with the possibility of “standing orders”) allows for them to potentially return later.

Ultimately, I think the main strategic difference in your proposal is that it allows weak players to commit to elimination, making it easier to ensure that they have no further impact on the game.

1 Like

I did not mean to be disrespectful or make light of your effort. I am very thankful that you enable this game, and I want to reiterate that I enjoy it a lot.

I think that I understand your point of view better now. Perhaps I was thinking too much from the point of view of a game designer that creates a game for the masses. But if this variant is exclusively for those who are committed, that is of course fine as well.

1 Like

Round 16 had ended

red@le_4TC and blue@Vsotvep collided at their first choice at J3, but both played at their second choices. All other players played at their first choices.

Round 17 has begun and will end on 2020-09-06T00:00:00Z

Just to be clear, here is the current board position:

Editable board

2 Likes

@yebellz???

1 Like

Sorry, I’m working on it right now

2 Likes

Round 17 has ended

First choices

Second and third choices

• black@Haze_with_a_Z placed second choice at J3
  • blue@Vsotvep placed second choice at J6
  • white@martin3141 placed second choice at D6
  • red@le_4TC second choice was at G1 (colliding with first choice already played by yellow@李建澔2), but they are able to play their third choice at B1.

Result and Current Board State

Note: old chains at J2 and A1 were removed first. A new chain of 3 stones at J5 was also captured.

Editable board

Round 18 has now begun and will end on 2020-09-07T00:00:00Z

4 Likes

Round 18 has ended

First choices

Second and Third Choices

Round 19 has begun and will end on 2020-09-08T00:00:00Z

Current board position:

Editable board

6 Likes

Hahaaaa a!

Well, that makes me happy

2 Likes

This is a fight for second place at this point. There is simply no way that anybody can feasibly attack le_4TC, and he is simply going to expand his territory. And he already has almost one third of the board.

Getting so complex and interesting!!

sup maharani!

(also i think ive said sup to everyone else)

1 Like

Yet it still has only two eyes, so it’s not solid territory.

1 Like

Nooo

2 Likes

This is not only a game, but also a social experiment.

1 Like

Round 19 has been extended by 24 hours

The new deadline is now 2020-09-09T00:00:00Z

@Haze_with_a_Z has been deducted an “extra day” and now has zero extra days left.

All players may continue discussion and change their moves if they wish.

There will be no second extension. Failing to submit by the extended deadline will result in the move being counted as a pass.

1 Like

Reminder to spectators:
Please do not post in this thread while the game is still ongoing

1 Like

sorry yall I forgot again