Diplomatic Go šŸ—” The First Game

I donā€™t want to capture your group, yet, Iā€™m not sure I can win from le_4TC after that.

If I try that, I would have both you and le_4TC against me. That would be reckless by me and, frankly speaking, impossible.

I know you want me to think that I still have a chance to avoid a loss. And I praise your attempts to try and change my mind. Ironically the fact that my group is limited to two eyes (thanks to you) prevents me from going for any draw attempt.

No, I think that I wouldnā€™t have given up in your situation. If Iā€™m going to lose anyway, why not try to do the impossible first?

I havenā€™t given up on avoiding elimination.

Elimination or remaining on the board with another person winning are equivalent in my opinion, since the rules donā€™t give preference to one or the other. Meanwhile, attempting to win / draw is preferable over certain loss by the rules.

If I can choose between losing and getting eliminated or losing and staying on board, I would rather choose the latter.

Yes, but Iā€™m talking about choosing between losing and having a small chance of not losing.

Yes I am aware, and I believe Iā€™ve already said that I donā€™t see such a chance. I guess at this point, further discussion is meaningless.

Anything is impossible if you donā€™t try.

But yeah, itā€™s meaningless.

1 Like

I would rather go for an achievable goal than try to achieve the impossible. I guess thatā€™s just how I am. Sorry Vsotvep.

No. You can eat me in 2 turns and you should continue doing that as such. Iā€™m not doing suicide. And atm, Iā€™d rather le4 win over you, even if I want a draw without them.

1 Like

In that case, it looks like weā€™re at a standstill. I need either Haze or Martin to help me reach 28 points to rival le_4TC. Iā€™m not filling up G9 myself, since itā€™s my last shared liberty. If I fill it up, itā€™s not unthinkable to me that you three will kill me, and I have no way to defend against it.

le_4TC has no motivation to play G9: theyā€™re winning if nothing changes.

Martin has no motivation to play G9, since he has already accepted his loss and fears to be captured if I get 28 points.

Haze rather wants le_4TC to win than me.

If this is the case, I think we should declare le_4TC the sole winner and be done with it.

5 Likes

Round 31 has ended

Sorry for the delay

• white@martin3141 submitted a pass
  • All other players placed a stone at their first choices (D7, G7, G2)
  • The stones at D7, G7, and F2 are captured

Voting (round 31)

Round 32 has begun and will end on 2020-09-27T00:00:00Z

Current board position

Editable board

3 Likes

Round 32 has ended

Voting (round 32)

Round 33 has begun and will end on 2020-09-28T00:00:00Z

Current board state

Editable board

5 Likes

The Game has ended with a Victory for red@le_4TC

The outcome was the product of votes cast in the final round (33):

Thank you all for playing in this game!

The final moves for round 33 were:

7 Likes

Congratulations @le_4TC with winning, and thanks everyone for participating!

Iā€™m looking forward to reading the kibitz logs.

To clarify my last move: Martin convinced me I had no way of getting 28 points, even if Haze wouldā€™ve been removed at the top, since le_4TC has a winning strategy by continuously blocking the last outside liberty of Martin. Martin couldā€™ve blocked me from getting 28 points by playing A8, and if he didnā€™t the game would become similar to Nim, in that I had to make sure the repetition would fall on a moment where I would control one of the two intersections of A8 / A9.

I now see it wouldā€™ve not worked this round anyways, as Martin got D7 in.

My review of Diplomatic Go as a game: itā€™s amazing, there is so much strategy involved, and the intrigue and uncertainty make it a lot more exciting than normal Go. However, this game also showed the biggest flaw (in my opinion), which is players without a clear goal.
If this is resolved such that players at any time have a strategical benefit to play on, or to resign, then this game is certainly one of my favourites. But without such a goal, Iā€™m not sure if I would enjoy another endgame like thisā€¦

7 Likes

Thanks to everyone playing, and an even bigger thanks to @yebellz for organizing! This has been a lot of fun :blush:

7 Likes

Ah, yes, almost forgot! A huge thanks to @yebellz for organising :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Gg yall :smiley:

Thanks yebellz for hosting and dealing with me :slight_smile:

Thanks everyone for playing, and thanks to the subs who came in when needed. :smiley:

Best draw is without le4 :slight_smile:

Twas fun playing with yall, although it was hard to be motivated to do this sometimes after I knew I had lose

Also I managed to get second place so I think that is good.

7 Likes

Playing this game was a roller-coaster of emotions for me, and a lot of fun! :grin: Huge thank you to @yebellz for making this possible!

Also thank you to all players and substitute players, in particular @le_4TC, @Vsotvep, @Haze_with_a_Z for discussing with me and putting up with my rambles.

And of course congratulations to le_4TC for winning.

7 Likes