Diplomatic Go šŸ—” The Second Game

I meant the verb expect as require, claim. Didnā€™t mean to offend you, I know you would keep playing.

1 Like

No, because they have had access to private communication with other players already. Gia is already in the kibitz log, which is even worse.

I donā€™t believe we need a replacement here anyways, I havenā€™t seen @martin3141 asking to stop playing.

5 Likes

Ok, glad to see that you are still part of the game, despite your earlier wordsā€¦

Relieved to hear that this was all part of the game as a sympathy ploy, rather than actual hurt feelings and a rage quit.

Hoping that things have cooled down a little, Iā€™d just like to say a few things.

First of all, I invite everybody not to take this game literally: what happens in the game is not meant to have repercussions IRL, otherwise it wouldnā€™t be a game.

I personally have an ironical attitude towards what happens in this context, and I enjoy to play according to a character, which I think was even encouraged by the use of flags and by the description of your ā€œcountryā€. I enjoy the shakespearean atmosphere created by the game and I experience it as a story being told. Of course, each being the protagonist of their own story, all the players will wish the best for their character, but thereā€™s always a distinction between person and character.

Also, we are playing a game of Diplomatic Go: what weā€™re ultimately supposed to do is to gain as much territory as possible with or without the help of other players, a help which shouldnā€™t be held as a commitment to perpetual loyalty.

As for you, martin, I wasnā€™t trying to get rid of you, I just proposed that to give you the opportunity to drop out in case you felt forced to keep playing, for the sake of levity.
Also, I attacked you in the game for my personal benefit, like I think Iā€™m supposed (or allowed at least) to, not because I was unwilling to forgive you, since I donā€™t think you did anything wrong, morally speaking.

I had thought of elaborating on why I had distrusted you but, quite frankly, it feels unnatural to explain my decisions in a game in order to defend myself on a personal level. I enjoyed talking with you in the private chat, and of course this created a bond with you that went beyond the game itself because thatā€™s what happens when two people talk about something they both like imo. Which doesnā€™t mean anything in the game, since there weā€™re just characters, or players, or however you wanna call that.

Iā€™ve tried to sum up everything in this post, as I donā€™t want to keep talking about it, thus creating a long discussion. Sorry if itā€™s too long.

So again fellas, letā€™s all just take the game for what it is and have fun. Itā€™s not a real war, fun is what itā€™s all about. Gghf everyone!

4 Likes

Now please letā€™s calm down. We knew what we were signing up for when itā€™s called ā€œDiplomatic Goā€: intrigues, backstabbing, and mistrust on a Game of Thrones-level. I agree that to kick those who are already down has always the aftertaste of a dick move. But a bad play happens to everybody.

And let us keep these things in mind: we fight the board, not the person (to quote @trohde); and while the enemies we make in a game are fake, the friends we make are real.

4 Likes

You are absolutely correct. I fear that I hurt peopleā€™s feelings, and have hence withdrawn my posts.

I want to apologise for being too emotional and toxic. Like you said backstabbing is part of the game.

5 Likes

I wish that you had not deleted your posts. You can withdraw their intent, but still leave the words as a record of what had been said.

Donā€™t worry, you have not hurt my feelings. Backstabbing is part of the game, but so is the vivid expression of emotion as part of the nuance of communication and manipulation, even if it might come across as toxic. However, I donā€™t think youā€™ve been particularly toxic. Please donā€™t feel bad.

I trust that we can all distinguish between our interaction within this game vs outside of it.

3 Likes

Which one is it now?

Both, the first is talking about the start of Round 17, the second is talking about the start of Round 18.

2 Likes

About post deletion, although it is not explicitly stated in the ruleset, it should be the case that deletion or alteration of posts is frowned upon.

I am certain that people can continue this game without hurt feelings, it is but a game after all. Therefore I have restored the deleted posts (since it seems the system does not allow that to be done by the user themselves after mass-deleting messages)

2 Likes

Even the game master frowns upon me. I feel very sad and not welcome here. I will submit a standing order of passes.

Sorry if I chime in, but this looks like an action by Vsotvep the Forum Mod, not Vsotvep the Game Master.

1 Like

I donā€™t frown upon you, I frown upon deleting messages in a correspondence game that is about diplomacy and thus heavily relies on communication. Some of the players may not have been online to see the messages. This is the public game thread, and all messages posted here should be read by all players of the game.

To be clear, I would act the same with other players deleting messages.

I asked Martin in private to restore the messages, but it seems the system does not allow to do so. I acted as forum mod in assisting in restoring those messages, but as game master in deciding that messages should not be deleted.

4 Likes

I think it is well within the purview of the Game Master to set such communication standards for the game. Itā€™s just a practical convenience that he is also a moderator that is able to implement some actions.

1 Like

In the absence of a move submission from @martin3141, Round 17 will be extended 24 hours.

The new deadline is 2020-11-06T21:00:00Z

I feel terrible and I apologise for everything I wrote. I do not know how to continue now. I neither want to just abandon the game and inconvenience all participants, nor do I want to be part in intrigues and the likes anymore.

Donā€™t overthink it martin. No harm no foul. Noone has taken offence in what you said.
One of the two songs I got my name from is the following one:

It motivates me, when Iā€™m feeling like shit, to hear these words: ā€œNothing can stop me now, cause I donā€™t care anymoreā€
It helps a lot when I feel like I care too much.

1 Like

End of Round 17

image@martin3141 has issued a standing pass from this round onwards, and thus has not placed a move.
image@Leira and image@Sanonius collided with each other for their first choice. image@Leira managed to play their second choice, while image@Sanonius did not, since their second choice collided with the stone placed by image@Haze_with_a_Z as a first choice. image@Sanonius did manage to play their third choice.

As image@martin3141ā€™s stone at B1 is the only stone without liberties, it is removed from the board.

Any player with 5 stones or less on the board is eliminated at the start of Round 18.
All players enter Round 18 with at least 6 stones, therefore nobody is not eliminated.

Player 1st
move
2nd
move
3rd
move
image@le_4TC L13
image@PiggyStardust D6
image@martin3141 Pass Pass Pass
image@Sanonius M1 M4 A1
image@Haze_with_a_Z M4
image@yebellz B13
image@Leira M1 J3

Round 18

In order not to be eliminated at the start of next round, a player needs 6 or more stones on the board.

Round 18 starts with the following position.

Editable demo board

Please submit your next moves before 2020-11-07T21:00:00Z

Current number of stones per player:

4 Likes

If anybody wishes to continue playing as image Orange, please make yourself known to me.

It appears Martin has tossed the towel into the ring, and does not feel like playing on. I have contacted several players to ask for replacement, but Iā€™m failing to find anyone who is not in the kibitz thread alreadyā€¦ If youā€™re reading this and feel like joining the game, please let me know.

5 Likes

I am sorry for letting everybody down. I wasnā€™t able to appropriately process the situation emotionally.

4 Likes