Diplomatic Go

I didn’t want to mention this earlier (for obvious reasons), but I think it would be nice to have some features to help indicate collisions.

However, ultimately, with the possibility of collisions across multiple choices and then another player sneaking in with a placement, it could be difficult to clearly display with just one diagram.

1 Like

If players 1 & 2 try to play spot A and players 3 & 4 try to play at spot B in the first round, and in the second round player 1 is the only one trying to play at spot B, will this result in B being taken? I think the answer is yes based on your last reply, but just to check.

I might add way to show collisions tomorrow, shouldn’t be too difficult to do.

2 Likes

Yes, player 1 could potentially grab spot B with their second choice, after two other players collide at B with their first choice.

I think this similar to the example that I described earlier: Diplomatic Go [variant]

Okay, you can now shift+click to add multiple colours to the same stone (which removes border and makes them slightly transparent), and there’s a button on the side as well to toggle shift for those without keyboard.

4 Likes

Thank you @Vsotvep! That looks great.

Earlier, local storage was suggested. I would like to amend that with a slightly different feature to save and load the board state as some sort of string/text format. Maybe this could be compressed enough to be embedded and loaded via the URL. This would allow sharing an editable board between people.

You know, I think we’re just going to keep on asking for little features here and there until you’ve wound up building ODGS*

* pronounced as an acronym rhyming with “lodges”

5 Likes

Ok, now there’s a button called “link”, which will put the game info in the URL query. If you then copy and open the URL, the game should open in the same state. :slight_smile:

Here’s the current game

Some more things:

• Player names are stored in the p1p9 parameters.
  • Boardsize is the bs parameter, and supports sizes between 1 and 25 squares (with creative hoshi marks being my best guess of what would be useful).
  • The st parameter contains a string that codes the board state. I believe URL’s can support up to around 2000 characters. A filled 25x25 board with a single colour per intersection should fit in the URL (it takes 1825 characters to store such a game state), for example this.
  • It can also share multiple colours per stone.
4 Likes

Thank for you all of the great features!

It seems that somethings are not quite working on Firefox, such as the multiple colors and the status text (showing which tool is selected).

3 Likes

Aw man… Firefox doesn’t support conic-gradients, nor does Edge, I see now…

I can change it to stripes, but I really liked this design :frowning_face:

3 Likes

If you go to stripes, how about diagonal?

Ok, they’re now diagonal stripes, and the top bar is now showing.

1 Like

idk if it was explained, but what if two pieces are supposed to be captured at once?

1 Like

and if one is captured, the other would no longer be captured

1 Like

Capturing happens in three stages:

Suppose the three players play the following (marked with white stripes) stones:

The first stage is placing all the moves on the board. Any connected set of stones of the same colour that contains one stone placed in this stage will be called “new”.

The board now looks like:

The second stage removes any connected sets of stones of the same colour that aren’t “new” and don’t have any liberties.

This would mean the A8 and A9 stones in the example, thus after the second stage it looks like:

The third stage removes any connected set of stones of the same colour that are new and don’t have any liberties, thus the board becomes like this:

6 Likes

well like what if blue had played a8 that turn and had played g3 the previous turn(so they have equal number of stones)

so then every group is technically new and in atari. do they all die?

3 Likes

Could you clarify what you are trying to ask with diagrams? I don’t see how blue playing at G3 (in the bottom right) has any relevance. Further, the number of stones involved in each group is not important. It comes down to whether each chain has liberties and whether is it “new” or “old”. What do you mean by atari? Traditionally that means a chain with one liberty. A chain needs to have zero liberties to be captured.

See the first post in this thread where the rules are detailed. However, please ask questions if there are some things that are unclear. You can also ask questions via PM if you are concerned about tipping your hand in the current game.

Yes, it will be a simultaneous capture. My example has forms of any kind of stones: the stones on the A-column (except for A4) all have zero liberties after placing. A8 / A9 are an “old” group, and get captured immediately, A7 is a “new” group and does not get captured because the “old” group gets removed first, giving it new liberties, A5 / A6 is a “new” group that still has no liberties after removing all captured “old” groups, and thus gets captured.

In your scenario, all groups would be “new”, and thus nothing gets removed in the second stage, which means that all three groups are removed in the third stage.

2 Likes

To illustrate simultaneous capture in isolation, something like this could happen:

3 Likes

And to illustrate the prioritization of “new chains”, this could also happen:

Note that the stones placed on the board are exactly the same as in the previous example, but which stones were placed last is different. In this case white’s two stones that were captured before are “new” so they survive longer than black’s two “old” stones.

4 Likes

This:

results in this:

While this:

results in this:

4 Likes

I think the green stones should be alive in the last image?

Edit: Oh wait… no ok, I understand now.

3 Likes