Discussion about Q14

At position Q14, @S_Alexander started the conversation:

Hm, W P16 is considered the first option here? It seems like it invites black to transpose back into normal joseki. And doesn’t punish anything.

( FYI @mark5000 )

Although it’s popular with kyu players, https://online-go.com/joseki/3700 isn’t a joseki. So if you walk Black into this line through another sequence, White can be happy.

1 Like

Yeah I was thinking, the 4-6 point didn’t seem like it was part of or lead easily back into normal joseki with p16

Never mind I see what you mean now

On a sidenote, I encourage you guys to discuss relevant go things in the joseki explorer itself. Because what we write here is unreachable from joseki explorer for now. What if someone else has the same question and doesn’t know about forums…

1 Like

That’s a fair point, but I also wonder if the comments format on the joseki explorer is equipped to deal with/display 100’s of comments and discussion.

@mark5000 said:

Although it?s popular with kyu players, Play Go at online-go.com! | OGS isn?t a joseki. So if you walk Black into this line through another sequence, White can be happy.

( FYI @mark5000 )

1 Like

@aesalon said:

AI usually likes to Q16. Pros used to think letting black double approach a 4-4 was a much bigger issue though. Anyway, there isn’t much data to reorder the moves for a lot of underplayed joseki.

( FYI @mark5000 )

1 Like

Kind of a meta post but relevant to this one issue too - I have downloaded every pro game on fox for this year (2008=2020 because of a kombilo bug) and it could provide data for some underplayed joseki as far as ordering the moves. I don’t think these games are very authoritative but I don’t know.

This can kind of corroborate that invading 4-4 is the modern idea but these are all blitz games and only one of them is from a top professional.

6-4 has been played only 84 times in 73,000 games :rofl:
I can definitely package these up and share them at the end of the year if you think it is useful to reorder some variations.

1 Like