Discussion about Q16,R14,Q14

At position Q16,R14,Q14, @Eugene started the conversation:

Yeonwoo has a new video that tells us B is preferred. However, I (like a commenter on that video) feel like her exploration of the good outcomes rests on the whole board position she showed.

( FYI @shinuito )

The commenter asked “what if black doesn’t have the stone?”, which is a san-ren-sei star point.

She said “it’s still fine”. I guess the wall built in gote still faces black’s corner in that case.

I do wonder what if there were white stones in the bottom right instead of black.

Maybe the answer would be “then don’t use this Joseki - Joseki aren’t correct for every situation”.

@aesalon said:

She does that with many of her videos. In this case, I know that her opionion is definitely shared by most current pros in a variety of situations.

( FYI @shinuito )

2 Likes

This would be a useful example (A vs B) to use in a conversation about variation ordering.

Saying that B is preferred passes fact-checking.

Case for A(Q13)
Historically the only joseki move. (The wedge of C being an uncommon special-case joseki)

Case for B(R15)
Professionals recently play it more than A
AI believe it’s better than A in most situations
One recent source claiming it is preferred (with no contradicting sources)

2 Likes

@Kerrad said:

Why this joseki is less used compared to the O17 keima, the results seem really good for black , I’m having hard time to attack the top side of the board after this

( FYI @shinuito )

1 Like