Disqualifications in tournaments

Hello, i have a question. I was disqualified in a simultanuous mcmahon tournament (that lasts a long time), because I timed out in one game. The game was lost because of the time out which makes total sense, but my question is: why would it be necessary to be kicked out of the entire tournament if you time out in only one game? We were in a group of 9 or 10 players, i played all the other games until the end and won some and lost some. There are multiple rounds in the tournament. Now i just finished my last game in this round and was looking at the results, there are people that finished half their games and some players that have not even finished 1 game in this round. This round has been going on since october and will last probably another couple of months until all games will be completed. What is the additional value to the tournament and the other players for me to be disqualified for the upcoming rounds? Nobody is waiting for me and i was already punished with a loss by timing out in that one game… in fact, my games seem to be completed rather quickly compared to others. Personally I don’t see any value in disqualifying players for a time out. The tournament will not last any longer or shorter because of 1 time out. Or 2 for that matter. Thanks!

6 Likes

Hm, yes, it seems to not necessarily make sense for round robin or single-round tournaments, I just wondered that recently myself in a round-robin when accidentally timing out 1 game.

Maybe the tournament functioning can be changed for such tournaments, if this doesn’t make sense.

2 Likes

As someone active in the old OGS title tournaments who took them seriously, I don’t think they had this rule and I would have found it very annoying to be disqualified on the rare occasion I timed out, particularly if I would have won the tournament even with the timeout! It does seem harsh to me.

6 Likes

i guess it’s just that it’s annoying for the opponent when someone times out (at least i find it disappointing and annoying, and imagine others do too), and the assumption i guess is that someone who times out in one game is more likely to time out in future, so it’s trying to protect other players from that frustration. and maybe there is also a correlation between people who time out of games and people who play slowly and hold up the progress of the tournament as a whole? though as you say this is not so in your case.

i think it’s a fair enough way to set up a tournament, if it’s an optional choice for the organiser and is advertised to participants that that’s how it works. then when you’re joining you can take that into account and make sure not to time out on any of your games. if it was obligatory and organisers couldn’t choose to do it a different way if they wanted, that would seem less good, and can totally get how it would be upsetting if it hadn’t been made clear that that was the rule and it took you by surprise.

2 Likes

Similarly, I think you will be automatically kicked out of the ladder when you time out on ladder games

2 Likes

Which is also strange, to apply that rule for ladders, in my opinion…a time out should only be punished with a loss in that specific game and that is where it should end. it may take a good part of the year, or longer, to work your way up the ladder and then you can start from scratch because of 1 time out.