Do Ancient Pros and Modern AIs Think Alike?

After I saw Discussion about R16,Q16,Q17,R15 I used Leela to look for the variation, then I get a noice looking move.
AI suggested white to play M13 next, which meant black can protect his Q14 cutting point in sente.
I remember a brilliant move played by Honinbo Shuei in his game vs Honinbo Shusai, formerly known as Yasuhisa Tamura.

White can either get the top or the left side, depending on if black’s answer is at E8, D7 or C6.
However these two positions look similar, AI disfavour Shuei’s suicide move.
This makes me think that, is there any moment which ancient pros and modern AIs think alike? Do you know any ‘Excellent moves’ considered in pre-AlphaGo times which is/are favoured/disfavoured by AIs?

4 Likes

That could be an interesting topic, for exemple what is AI suggestions around the famous ear reddening move of Shusaku.
Sadly i don’t own myself a 9p AI.

People have posted in several places about AI not liking the ear-reddening move. I guess the issue with AI judgement is that AI don’t account for the pyschological effect that some moves might have and the limits on human reading and calculation.

On the other hand, Michael Redmond has talked about similarities between Honinbo Dosaku’s style and AlphaGo’s style.

4 Likes

Shuei’s wonderful tesuji was his worst move of the game according to shallow KataGo analysis on OGS! T:2623 R:1 (Uberdude vs Uberdude)

4 Likes

@Uberdude how did you have a you vs yourself game?

No, humans and AIs may come to the same conclusion in some cases, but their thought process is very different, so they don’t think alike.

AIs try out A LOT of moves. KataGo on my computer can do over a hundred playouts per second, so every second it is looking at over a hundred different ways to finish the game (19x19). Humans just can’t do that, we have to use a different approach.

Nonetheless it is interesting, that AIs have brought back moves like Shusaku’s kosumi as answer to the low approach to the 3-4 point.

1 Like

Because I won the qualification tournament to challenge myself as title holder. :grinning:

1 Like

if you won the qualification tournament, wasn’t it the second place holder of the tournament to challenge you? did you use mod power or something top secret

1 Like

I did nothing special, that’s just what the tournament code did back then, I think it may have changed after that incident.

Didn’t find that here on OGS, sorry (i was expecting something too).

https://lifein19x19.com/viewtopic.php?p=233730#p233730

1 Like