Do you participate in the review request threads?

Do you post review requests?
  • Yes
  • No
0 voters
Do you comment on review requests ?
  • Yes
  • No
0 voters

What is your rank?

• TPK
  • DDK
  • SDK
  • Dan
  • Pro
0 voters

Please add your thoughts on why you do/don’t.

1 Like

I post review requests sometimes, for games where I think my errors were within my capabilities, not extreme cases of self-atari.

I almost never comment on other people’s requests because I don’t have anything worthwhile to add (DDK).

1 Like

I rarely review other people’s games these days.

I have tried to review with the OGS reviewing tools, but I feel they don’t really fit well to how I like to review games.

In the past I have reviewed many games posted on gokibitz. I do like the features it offers. In particular I like that it supports interaction between reviewers and the reviewee.
But I more or less stopped doing that since AI analysis tools became widely available. Also, it put me off when I would review a game and never got any response from the reviewee. Spending 30-60 minutes on crafting a review (including questions to the reviewee) and never knowing if they even read it at all, felt more and more like a waste of time to me.

I have requested reviews of a few dozens of my games to high dan players or pros (mostly IRL, sometimes paying for it). I find those quite insighful. But since the advent of AI analysis tools, I don’t ask/need those reviews as much as I did before.

5 Likes

I’m sure you could help TPK players.

5 Likes

Moreso, I would argue. The thoughts of a dan are incomprehensible to a TPK. In contrast a DDK was their peer a very short time ago, and can more readily speak their language and offer the next step in the journey, even if it’s not “technically correct” and may need to be unlearned sometime far down the path.

6 Likes

I think I need to study in a more systematic way before I can explain the advice I want to give.

I’d like to try, but it’s not like we’re drowning in TPK request reviews!

4 Likes

I have the little bell thingy set for review requests:

Because I enjoy talking about go.

7 Likes

Reviewing games is a good study tool, maybe chicken and egg problem :smile:

2 Likes

Reviewing games is surely a great way to progress (i mean for the reviewer).

2 Likes

Oh yes, I’ve seen comments in game reviews aimed at players 10 ranks lower than me that still were far above my level of understanding.

But to be fair, some dans are good at keeping their mouths shut about ‘suboptimal spacing considering that the ladder doesn’t work’ and instead pointing out that a group is nearly dead and adding a stone in the middle makes 2 eyes at once. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Several years ago, I used to do a moderate number of reviews because review-request threads very commonly went unanswered. If a day went by without a request being answered, I would do a review. Today, the community is much more responsive to review requests, so I have done only one in the last two years, and that was a follow-up to a teaching game (in my teaching games, I teach during the game rather than reviewing afterward, but my opponent wanted to review afterward as well, so we did).

Most of my reviews were of 9x9 games by mid-DDK players and below. With larger boards, I focused mainly on basic mistakes within my level of competence. Almost all the players who got reviews were appreciative, and I also found that reviewing sharpened my own understanding of the game.

I generally don’t request reviews because I am very aware of my mistakes; I self-review every game with the AI, and have had several fruitful chats with my opponents.

1 Like

I review most of my games with Katago, which can already point out several mistakes that I can understand. However human input still has added value, so I occasionally pay for online courses which consist in league games that are reviewed by a high dan player. I also sometimes review my games with my partner when I play IRL. I think this fulfills my needs, I don’t think that getting more human reviews would help me improve faster: what I lack most is studying by myself, not help by other people.

I review other people’s games when I see obvious mistakes which show lack of understanding of basic concepts, so that I am sure that my comments are more or less correct, or at least good enough for the player asking for a review.

2 Likes

I think my favourite part of human reviews is that AI can’t understand why I didn’t consider the crazy invasion when it’s so obvious to it. It doesn’t have the concept of “DDK, so probably not there yet, here’s a step to that direction”.

2 Likes