Documentary “The Surrounding Game” Now Available Worldwide

The Go documentary “The Surrounding Game”—Now Available Worldwide

https://mailchi.mp/surroundinggamemovie/the-surrounding-game-is-now-available-worldwide

Streaming, download, or DVD/Blu-Ray, plus some merchandise.

7 Likes

Is it good?

2 Likes

Trailer:

More info: https://www.surroundinggamemovie.com/

I’ve only yet watched pieces and what I saw I liked a LOT; some scenes drove me to tears (I won’t tell).
I was a backer so I got the backer DVD, but I’ll also purchase the download for the extras and subtitles b/c I’m hard of hearing.

4 Likes

Thanks!

1 Like

My Blu-ray copy just came in the mail today. I really enjoyed it!

4 Likes

Awesome :slight_smile: thanks for the feedback!

And if you’re on FB also, then go to

and tell them also :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I rented it and watched it last night with the extra footage. I found it quite enjoyable. I think the juxtaposition between the parts filmed in Asia and the parts in the US was interesting in so much as it explored the big cultural gap; Go being a game with little history in the west and obviously being steeped in tradition in the Asian countries where it is most popular.

Absolutely worth a watch I would say, there are certainly some really great scenes (I have a personal favourite but maybe it would be considered a spoiler to mention what it is :slight_smile: ).

I think the filmmakers did a pretty good job all in all.

6 Likes

Just bought and watched it today and was surprised how good it is. I did enjoy the Alphago movie a lot - but “The Surrounding Game” was much more a movie about Go, the culture and the people playing it. And that one scene at the end did make me shed tears. Really great movie and well worth buying.

6 Likes

On iTunes and Amazon available only for US :frowning:

3 Likes

Any speculation on a Netflix release?

2 Likes

Soon on Twitch, Netflix for gaming, even for the oldest board game :no_mouth:

5 Likes

The documentary is on Twitch servers now, don’t know for how long, but you can see it here - with an introduction by the makers, the film starts a little after half an hour:

5 Likes

:stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Lol!

2 Likes

It looks like twitch has taken it down now

2 Likes

August 8 will be effective in netflix

4 Likes