Does online-go.com have any sort of mobile app?

I have been looking for a baduk / go platform similar to chess.com and lichess and this site comes the closest, however I noticed it does not have a Android App and iOS app, is there one that anyone has made via an API or anything? I am looking for it for both devices iOS and android and so it can sync my account data from this site.

1 Like

Yes, there is one: GitHub - acristescu/OnlineGo: Repo for the OnlineGo Android app.

Don’t know how “official” it is, I’ve tried it, but I still prefer just to use the website. Here’s a discussion thread about it.

3 Likes

Yes, the Online Go app for Android by @MrAlex is great! I find it much easier to use than the mobile site.

1 Like

Online GO (Early Access) by Zen Android in the Google Playstore

2 Likes

That is Android sorted, so thanks for that. What about iOS / iPhones? I use android on a tablet but my phone is an iPhone

1 Like

https://forums.online-go.com/t/are-you-a-developer-want-ogs-on-a-mobile-device/1419/547?u=teapoweredrobot

A post about an iOS beta app

3 Likes

Thanks!

1 Like

Do be aware that neither are officially supported by OGS and are both fan made. I’ve not been able to test the iOS version but Mr. Alex’s Android beta is coming along nicely! It is quite nicely polished if all you’re looking for is to play on your mobile (most of the other site features aren’t available) and is particularly good for correspondence players, as unlike the main site it notifies you when there are new messages in game chat.

1 Like

Is this different to the apps mentioned above?

Nope :slightly_smiling_face: same one

Notification for games to move is a must (as soon as you are not looking at the OGS website, like for example just now, using the forum) which I would miss a lot without the app.
Thx @MrAlex

2 Likes

Even on mobile I’m in OGS chat frequently enough that I normally see game moves before the app notifies me lol, plus in any case the emails are prompt enough for corr, but yes that feature is still nice :slightly_smiling_face:

Sadly, push notifications cannot be implemented without some small amount of coding on the backend. While I would be happy to put in the work to implement the Android part, there is no way anybody except the backend devs can do the other part, as the backend is not open-source.

4 Likes

If that’s the case, your app sends through game notifications IMPRESSIVELY quickly if there’s no push support! Well done!

3 Likes

I’m curious, how can you see on your phone a move to play notification when you are using the forum and without the app?
A yes emails notification, but I don’t like to take care of my mailbox. And I like the thumbnail of each game coming with the notification too.
Would it be difficult for OGS to offer the same fonctionality?

forums are usually slow enough that I can just switch periodically between forum and main site to also follow a few live chats

no idea tbh :man_shrugging: