Double Elimination 9x9

Hello,

I’m not sure if is it a bug or not but I’m playing this tournatment:

I was assuming since I have no defeat in the mean bracket I will be the winner. But now I’m playing against the winner of the looser bracket. Is it normal?

1 Like

Yes.

A double-elimination tournament is broken into two sets of brackets, generally called the winner’s bracket and the loser’s bracket. Each player begins in the winner’s bracket, but once they lose, they move to the loser’s bracket, where they still have an opportunity to make it to the final match and win the tournament.

3 Likes

Also worth noting that once the finals are reached, the player from the winner’s bracket doesn’t get a second life. They do however, usually enjoy an easier path with a bye or two.

2 Likes

I’m ashamed to admit, but I’ve taken part in tournaments and not really know what byes are.

1 Like

@Gia

It’s when you advance to the next round without having to play a match in the previous round.

So example being everyone playing in round 1 except for me I get to advance to round 2 without playing.
Usually happens when there is an odd number of players, or if you have seeded players sometimes they get a bye due to skill level.

3 Likes

On the other hand, a player going through the loser’s bracket might have a slightly easier path to the final game, since they are facing players that have previously lost as opposed to undefeated opponents.

The odd thing about the tournament in question, is that in the winner’s bracket a 25 kyu player was given 5 byes (all of them) in a row, getting an easy placement into the semi-final of the top bracket.

@Kosh is alluding to a different bug/odd design choice that is further discussed here:

2 Likes

@yebellz

That is normal, the final match doesn’t get a second game even if the player from the Winners Bracket loses, it’s called the finals for a reason.

No, I don’t think that is “normal” for how double-elimination tournaments are typically conducted. The principle behind a double-elimination tournament is that a player needs to lose twice in order to be eliminated from the tournament.

4 Likes

You could just call it something else.
Pre final and final
Final and grand final

Edit - or make like the UK chess challenge and have a mega final, gigafinal and terafinal…

3 Likes

I guess single elimination in the finals is just a common variation you see then with double elimination tournaments.

From the wiki.

The Little League World Series began using a modified double elimination bracket in 2011. Eight U.S. teams and eight international teams compete in respective double elimination formats until their respective championship games, which are single elimination. That is, irrespective of whether a team has one loss, or no losses, that team would be eliminated with a loss in either the U.S. or international championship game. The two respective champions then play a single elimination game for the World Series championship.

However, it’s understood that reducing the finals into a single-elimination game is not the normal procedure for double-elimination tournaments, hence they call it:

2 Likes

Thanks for the info guys.
Now I loosed the final game and I get the copper medals, is this normal too?
I think this is really not fair since I loose only one game.

2 Likes

I think it is supposed to be a silver medal since you got second place in the tournament. I agree with you that it isn’t fair for you to get copper when you only lost in the final round.

3 Likes

maybe I should report a bug?

A similar bug has been reported here. You can add your experience as a comment if you like. I think it is indeed strange that of all things you got a copper medal and not a silver or gold, given that you played in the final…

2 Likes

Thanks for the link

1 Like

I just played in a “double-elimination” tournament that fizzled out in a very unsatisfactory way. I only lost once and apparently got silver. There was no final, the winning player got a bye in the final round. This is a bug, isn’t it?

I reported the bug here:

2 Likes