Escaper changes (testing and comments welcome)

@lemmata : at some point, we may move to a more direct resignation, but the 1 (or 3, or whatever) minute timer is to also give us some protection from bugs and confusion with new behavior.

Also, I can see the utility of at least a short delay before resignation. I’ve gotten flustered playing live games before and could easily see myself clicking close accidentally, then getting more flustered and clicking “OK” instead of “Cancel” without intending to. (… based on my ability to place a stone, say to myself “that’s a bad move”, and then click submit anyway…)

1 Like

It would be nice if the resign confirmation actually said that you have x seconds to come back and continue. After a connection problem the game doesn’t automatically start working again without refreshing the page or leaving the game for a while. People may try to leave the page since the games open in a popup with no refresh button and the existence of F5 is easily forgotten.

Is this still implemented? Is there an exception for touny games? My tourny opponent abandoned our game but he didn’t timeout after 1 minute.

Return time is too short :frowning: 3-4 minutes would be much better.

It should be :slight_smile: I’ll try and replicate the issue. It could have been a genuine disconnect though, those we don’t time out. And nope there are no exceptions for tournament games.

Today a person had an opponent who refused to agree to dead stones. The user then correctly opened chat channels to search for moderators but incorrectly he opened them inside the same tab. He overran the 1 minute? timer and when he came back the game said “White wins by resignation”. I feel that in the future the resignation text should be only for manual resignation inside the game window. KGS uses “W+ Forfeit” and I feel that it would be a tiny bit better for OGS also. So anyone closing a tab or a browser and over running the timer would be shown as forfeited the game and not resigning. This would clarify the situation. Currently moderator decisions are displayed so. This could also be displayed like that.

PS. Why is there no mention of the 1 minute timer in the confirmation box?
Also why is the other player not informed about the escapement? Now we can only see that the opponent has left but we still see their main time running and not the 1 minute timer(though showing that would also bring problems if player would constantly "escape and reenter a game)

3 Likes