Michael Chen won the Professional Qualification Tournament organized by the North American Go Federation in August and thus was promoted to 1-dan professional.
You will find an interview with him in the September & October edition of the European Go Journal. We discussed Michael’s path in the go world, a recent Professional Qualification, and life beyond the go board.
Subscribe on Patreon to receive the future issues of our magazine automatically: https://www.patreon.com/europeangojournal
Who are the 2 other people on the pic?
Michael Chen with Lee Hajin, executive director of the NAGF, and Michael Bull, tournament director. Photo by Chris Garlock/AGA E-Journal
If you hover over the photo with your mouse,
you will see this.
I’m on a phone.
Still I can see the pic name by opening it.
I know her but not how she looks.
Mateusz Surma 3p won the Grand Slam tournament in Prague, beating Fredrik Blomback 7d in the final on the 22nd of October.
In the September & October edition of the European Go Journal, we will publish a brief interview with Mateusz and a review of his final game against Fredrik.
Here is this game if you missed it. (With almost no comments)
September & October 2023 Edition of the European Go Journal: September & October 2023 Edition of the European Go Journal
- A special article celebrating a decade of cooperation between the CEGO and EGF: Martin Stiassny allows the readers to see it through the eyes of the EGF President; Stanisław Frejlak 1p shares his experience studying go in China at the Ge Yuhong Academy, while Artem Kachanovskyi 2p offers his impressions of living the life of a professional player
- An interview with Michael Chen 1p, the newly-certified American professional player
- A brief interview with the winner of the Grand Slam, Mateusz Surma 3p, accompanied by his commentary on the final game against Fredrik Blomback 7d
- Detailed commentary on the game from the third round of the Transatlantic Professional Championship played between Artem Kachanovskyi 2p and Ryan Li 4p
- “Go, Science and Sociology” an article by Joan Lluís i Rabassó drawing interesting parallels between the concepts at the foundation of go and the societal forces of science and progress
- The latest of the Thirty-Six Stratagems presented by Dai Junfu 8d, Art & Photography and much more