Fantasy Footbaduk

I would, but I’m full to the brim right now with go stuff, at the local club, here on OGS, etc.

I do not know much about pro players. I’m guessing I’d just choose my faves anyway hehehe.

3 Likes

Well, with what it’s looking like, we might have potential matches taking a month, and an entire season taking longer than an actual season… :stuck_out_tongue:

Which is fine

1 Like

“Footbaduk”

(You can clearly see the forbidden technique of holding a captured stone with your oddly shaped pinky toe)

9 Likes

Despite lacking the feeling of “owning” the players I think the Baduk H2H Pick’em or Baduk Pick’em is the way to go.

The organizer could publish a list of 5-10 games for the week, perhaps writing a short preview of each match, then the participants would pick winners. The 10 games was mentioned here on this thread, but in a long season and in a totally new concept I think we should focus on quality over quantity and have just 5 games for a week. It doesn’t need to be 5 “biggest” games of the week. Any interesting or hard to predict match with interesting preview could be preferred.

In H2H mode the participants are scheduled in a matchup against each other and would pick sides in each of the 5-10 games like mentioned in previous posts but I’ll add that in our Yahoo Fantasy Hockey drafts we have opted in using snake draft as it feels fair. In H2H picking I guess p1 picking 1st, p2 picking 2nd and 3rd, then alternating picks until all 5 or 10 games have been visited. In snake draft with 10 participants the 10th guy picks 10th and 11th, then 9th guy picks 9th and 12th, 8th guy 8th and 13th and so on. The 1st guy picks 1st, 20th and then 21st and the snake turns around again.

Other modifiers for point scoring are at least picking a captain and gaining double points from captain. Then I was thinking (opinions needed) that say you would get 2p from a win where over 200 moves were played, 3p from game won where 150-200 moves were played, 4p from 100-149 moves played and 5p from win where only 99 or less moves where played. So you could get 10p if you had set a captain on a player who wins someone after opponent resigning after say 96 moves. Sure it’s questionable to award more points from early win, but I think it could somewhat correlate the performance in one game. Of course there are players having high rating but may lose games on early moves as their game strategy may be riskier than average. Then if your pick loses a game, they get 0p, if they resign before move 150, they get -1p and if they resign before move 100 they get -2p. The 200 move modifier is more questionable than 150/100 so maybe leaving it out from winner or loser makes it only half-effective.

If the organizers are motivated, the AI best move and losing move ideas for more point modifiers is great.

There could be other useful modifiers we haven’t thought about yet. Like having bench players, there could be bench matchups, so you could lower the points gained/lost in some matches like you can increase them with the captain. An example in a non H2H Pick’em: 5 matches for the week given: You pick winner in 4 matches and assign captain in one of them giving you double points from that match and normal poitns from 3 and no points from one. Some fantasy leagues have some special “items” you can use once in a season, like you can activate “triple points” or “play bench” (get points from all 5 matches) for one round. This is likely for example a feature in the upcoming FIFA World Cup’s own fantasy league.

The difference in non H2H mode is you get to pick each 5-10 games and the scoring table would count your total points gained with all the modifiers, instead of win/lose from the H2H matchup. The advantage in non H2H mode is that anyone could join the league at any time, although joining late would leave you handicapped on the scoring table except for the special statistics like avg points/games or scoring table for the past month etc. The disadvantage what @yebellz mentioned that we would all pick same winners I think it’s not so much so. Many of the top pro matches are quite 50/50 feel if there are two top20 players playing each other except maybe Shin Jinseo :slight_smile: but maybe I’m wrong. Even with just predicting 4 games a week and 3 of them being top30 vs another top30, in just one month the scoring table would show some participants clearly having more points than others imo.

This kind of league is programmable in so that the app would calculate all the statistics, the only manual work would be to input the matches, previews and results (winner/loser/moves played/AI best move?/AI worst move?). In such the non H2H would again look better, as hundreds could join by just registering and the organizer only would need to once a week input the 5-10 matches, (previews) and results and not to “organize” participants or matchups.

I have actually coded a website for organizing online leagues (in NHL94) that calculates scoring tables so I have had interest long ago in something a bit similar. I’m an average programmer so it would be preferable that someone more apt would do that job if there was interest.

2 Likes

That was my bad, I started grad school and the imposter syndrome warped my brain and I stopped updating the spreadsheet. I hope to go back some day when I’m looking for something to do and figure out who the hell won.

2 Likes

I’m a bit hesitant to start this project if there are only three participants… It seems like it would cost some work to organise, but if there’s only three people joining I’m not sure if that work is worth it.

1 Like

This is really well thought-out, and I really love your modifier ideas. I just don’t personally think I would be interested in a fantasy league where there isn’t some form of team drafting and “owning” the players.

It’s like the difference of a D&D campaign that goes on for an entire season vs. doing a new one-shot D&D campaign with the same game group every week. Nothing wrong with the latter, but I can’t see myself being invested past the first session.

And maybe it will make sense to wait until such a time when there is more interest, anyway :sweat_smile:

1 Like

6zbndx

3 Likes

How does this work?
Really excited to see this

Just to let everyone know the way I did it, I designed a system in which domestic tournaments in China, Korea, and Japan were all worth points, attempting to give roughly the same number of points within each nation. More important tournaments (Meijin, Kisei) were worth more, and points were awarded for players who did well, not just 1st place.

I awarded larger sums for international tournaments.

By necessity you need to select an end date which allows each tournament to appear once each, this is somewhat arbitrary. You don’t want any tournaments to be in progress before the draft so the time frame unfortunately can’t be perfectly chosen to be exactly a year.

Players were drafted in a serpentine draft, and people were required to have at least some from each nation (organizer’s choice). At the end, the team whose players have accumulated the most points according to their finishes in major tournaments wins.

Problems: players who currently hold titles which require title defense are automatically guaranteed points (Japan)
The point awarding system is somewhat arbitrary and hard to design fairly with respect to the differences in nations (upper echelon players in Japan are a tighter group, China has a lot of players who can be sleepers)

The problem of creating a fair and interesting point system exists in all fantasy sports in fairness.

2 Likes

Anyone want to play a simple November bracket?

Tournament Player 1 Player 2 Points for correct prediction Your prediction
70th Oza, game 2 Iyama Yuta Yu Zhenqi 1 : 3.5
70th Oza, game 3 Iyama Yuta Yu Zhenqi 1 : 3.5
70th Oza, game 4 Iyama Yuta Yu Zhenqi 1 : 3.5
3d UMC Cup, game 6 Wang Yuanjun Xu Haohong 2.125 : 1
3d UMC Cup, game 7 Wang Yuanjun Xu Haohong 2.125 : 1
48th Tengen, game 3 Seki Kotaro Ida Atsushi 1 : 2
3 Likes

What are the rules for this? There have been like, five different ways of playing discussed

3 Likes

Score points with correct predictions. To discourage everyone from choosing the strongest players all the time, I gave odds based on the players’ win-loss record and award more than one point for predicting the underdog victory.

Example: For the Oza, Iyama is the strong favorite. The players’ win-loss history is 14:4 in Iyama’s favor. So correct Yu predictions earn you 3.5 points. Suppose I guess Iyama game 2, Yu game 3, and Iyama game 4. Then the games are played: Yu wins game 2 and game 3, and Iyama wins game 4. I get no points for prediction one, 3.5 points for prediction two, and 1 point for prediction three—so 4.5 points total.

3 Likes