Feature Request: Fork Game To Demo Board

I’ve mentioned before how I would like to use OGS to study my games. A place where I can leave custom chat notes and variations that nobody else can see. Talking to others I know I am not alone desiring such functionality. I was thinking today that a private Demo Board offers me everything I need to privately study a match. The only issue is that currently I have to rebuild any match I am studying in a new Demo Board.

How hard would it be to add the ability to fork a match to a Demo Board? Or to add the ability to load an SGF from within the Demo Board interface? Before anyone suggests the Malkovich chat option, Malkovich can be seen by anyone not logged into an OGS account. It isn’t private at all :woozy_face:

2 Likes

Can you achieve the desired outcome by downloading the game and then uploading it to your SGF Library (in hamburger menu)? That seems to have an option for privacy.

[Edit] I’m not in any way opposed to the OP’s suggestion. Just trying to be helpful.

2 Likes

I agree with Kosh’s suggestion for 2 reasons. Firstly, it already works the way you want it to work. Secondly, “forking” a game, whether to another player or to a hypothetical demo board, does not carry over the move order, it only carries the current board state, making it quite useless for review.

1 Like

Keeping the move order can be part of the suggestion.

2 Likes

In my experience, wheels don’t normally get re-invented unless they’re broken… we’re busy enough with putting out fires and adding brand new features… but yes I agree in an ideal world these would both be included features in the fork game tool.

1 Like

I don’t think It’s a futile feature as manipulating sgf is not like a direct access. Easyness of use and ergonomy is a major factor of a website attractiveness.
Besides a suggestion can be integrated with another so no one knows exactly about how and when it works.

My opinion ofc.

It could be Interesting to understand well the difference between a game and a demo.
In the alternative suggested download then upload in the library, the game remains a game, not a demo. So what’s the difference , put aside you have a copy of the game now in your library?

Another bypass could be to open a review at the end of the game, which would then be (automaticaly) placed in the demo&review folder.
Would this do the trick too?

2 Likes

For me personally, I perform a lot of variations on each turn of a match. So doing a review at the end of a game would defeat the purpose of me studying as I go along. I really need access to it throughout the match. If I had programming skills and the time to apply them to my hobbies, I would try to tackle this myself :stuck_out_tongue:

​‌‍‎

I hadn’t considered that at all. Definitely would be a deal breaker for the purpose of studying. Thank you for mentioning it :wink:

​‌‍‎

I fully understand. I figure it never hurts to ask. You never know if a contributor might feel motivated to whip something up :woman_shrugging:. Besides, in this case, I learned something from @Kosh.

​‌‍‎

I actually had no idea there was a privacy option in the SGF Library. This does work for me. It isn’t perfect, but it is the first time I can do something like this in a private matter. I am actually very excited about this and will be writing a little instructional post and adding it to my guide for others to reference. Thank you VERY much Kosh for letting me know about this :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :pray:

3 Likes