Features everyone secretly want on OGS but will never be implemented

Go wars … reality vs dreams 1-0

4 Likes

some alternatives to just turn off analysis:
(moves can’t be deleted)

a) Opponent can see in real time tree of variations than you are making in analysis mode.

b) Any move that you made in analysis automatically work like conditional moves.

c) Both

d) There is no normal mode. You do moves in analysis only. Submit move button chooses random move from what you clicked.

(if you click just 1 move in any of these modes, your game will have no difference from normal game with analysis turned off)

9 Likes

This reminds me of the “autopass instead of timing out” idea.

4 Likes

(a) Love this idea.
(b) is difficult because how would you explore multiple paths? Would alternative paths override previously explored paths?
(d) LMAO omg

1 Like

Oh, reminds me:

I urgently need an option to move comments/variations accidentally posted in game chat to Malkovich Log!

Some of you will know why :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

Maybe crazy idea: custom board backgrounds for tournaments, ladders, game types, particular games, etc. Configurable both by tournament directors and in user settings.

Makes it more fun, and this way I don’t have to click around a bunch just to figure out what a game is.

13 Likes

That’d be awesome!

2 Likes

OMG, in this case I need an automatic custom board backgrounds suppressor.

:crazy_face:

8 Likes

A new paid feature?

6 Likes

YES! OMG YES, YES, YES!

Lets make this a thing, this is awesome!

2 Likes

I’ve been looking at the code a bit, and it’s beyond what I can figure out, but if the devs could add some data about the ladder/tournament to the HTML tags for each game, I could easily make this view possible with a little custom CSS injected via a Chrome extension.

3 Likes

Hey devs! (@Eugene?) If you can add some extra data to the Goban div like this:

<div class="Goban" data-game-id="123" data-tournament-id="1234">
<div class="Goban" data-game-id="123" data-ladder-id="1234">

then I’ll publish instructions for setting up custom backgrounds like that! And maybe that data would be useful for other things in the future.

2 Likes

Yeah that’s a squincy little challenge isn’t it, injecting context into the Goban…
… I wonder if a context-providing wrapper div would be better and easier…

Edit: LOL indeed we already have such a thing, goban-container :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@pdg137 assuming this generates more discussion, let’s talk about it here.

My first questions await :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Not a bad idea, since some people don’t always know when to quit. (Although, since most do, it’s kinda pointless here.)

I’m fine with “hints for weak players” or something. If you don’t benefit, you’re stronger than that.

How about having the circle, square, triangle, and cross markers available without analysis?

It’d be nice for streamers.

1 Like

If you mean in the case where analysis is off by setting, then I think be able to draw on the board let’s you circumvent the setting, imagine using circles for whites moves and triangles for black or something.

In the case with analysis enabled I don’t think it’s a big deal to start analysis either with an arrow key or otherwise.

1 Like

I think be able to draw on the board let’s you circumvent the setting

You can draw on the board without analysis?

I’m counting putting circles squares etc on the board as drawing… Labelling?