Feedback and suggestions for the problems (puzzles) section

Love the new Problems section, not sure why it’s called Puzzles though (minor niggle).

I want to give some ideas and feedback for the developers consideration so that we can make it even better.

1- The first and most important thing I need to know when looking at a problem is, What colour is to play. I don’t really want to have to read the text to find this out or hover the cursor over the board area to see the ghosted stone.

It would be nice if there was a clear visual (language independent) indication of what colour is to play in the problem. Something like a largish Black or White stone in the nearest board corner or a hand holding that colour stone.

2- Visual and Audio feedback for success or failure of the problem.

A big green tick somewhere on the board or nearby for success, red cross for failure.
Short audio feedback for success/failure.

3- For collections, the drop down menu is good for jumping around in the collection but not so great for just incrementing to the next problem.

A next problem button or an auto advance on success option maybe? :slight_smile:

Side note: There is nothing worse than bad problems. Problems with errors and incorrect or missing variations. Of course with a system like this where users of different levels can submit problems this issue will arise. So a way to fix and or remove bad problems would be great. I stopped using goproblems.com so much for this very reason.

PS. I assume the play stone and capture stone sounds will be added at some point. I just noticed they are not there. :slight_smile:

Good work guys, appreciate your effort and passion.

4 Likes

I think the “Puzzles” thing is to invite new players. ‘Tsumego’ would be gibberish and “Problems” could also be the link to F.A.Q.

I don’t share your opinion on the color thing, reading or hovering are good options.

While I can sympathize with the tick and cross visualisation, I object with sound.
There is something green though –
transition –

the next button. It appears after solving the problem. There could be a skip button though.

[quote=“Jadeite, post:1, topic:2205”]
Side note: There is nothing worse than bad problems. Problems with errors and incorrect or missing variations. Of course with a system like this where users of different levels can submit problems this issue will arise. So a way to fix and or remove bad problems would be great. I stopped using goproblems.com so much for this very reason.
[/quote]I saw some. However, I’d vote for the softer variant: auto hide below certain rating threshold.

You don’t like audio feedback? well there should be an option to enable or disable it, just turn it off, or not turn it on. Why deprive others of the option or feature just because you don’t like it?

Yep exactly so

Good idea indeed - and any sound we had would certainly be optional @flowing

Agreed, we’ll add that in :smile:

That’s kind of a delicate situation, though if bad problems are buried with bad rating my hope is they won’t get in the way all that much in practice.

3 Likes

I was going to test the problems system by adding some middle game problems, but there doesn’t seem to be Problem type category for middle game problems.

A nice feature that i thought today and definitely i would like in the puzzle section is a button for export a collection to sgf :smile: (some zip with the bunch of sgf files).

The tool is excellent for create problems easily, and if could to have a copy of these collections would be great for me.

Agreed. SGF file options will be great for learning.

In addition, it would be cool to have a specific (parent) collection page, which displays work progress, which problems solved, difficulty, etc. This will also provide convenience for linking to collection; right now we have to use the link for the first problem.

Just to make an analogy, a collection page to the puzzle pages is like a YouTube playlist page to its (children) video pages :smile:

I think the puzzle section should include an optional time trial challenge like is available on goproblems.com. Say maybe 30 sec- 1min per problem and 2-3 allowances for exceeding that time frame? It would be great for those of us looking to test our speed reading. :slight_smile:

Not sure if this is the place to say this, I would like to have the option to see commented solutions to problems, discussing problems is a great way to learn, also to know which problems are good or not… My opinion. Maybe a bad habit from goproblems.