First day here and disappointed with first OGS teacher - Do you think I was rude in this "teaching game"?

Good point to clarify.

Somehow, when we refer to someone in the third person, like “I think he should…” it comes across (to me at least) as “this is a policy thing” rather than “a friendly advice”.

In terms of friendly advice, it does seem applicable in this case :slight_smile:

Basically a problem between 2 players shouldn’t go public like here but to the moderation instead.

Of course we can debate about how to teach, how to make OGS better so teachers and teached meet and communicate better and so on. But that was not the starting point.

It’s bit disappointing that instead of driving the OP to some privacy, users tried to solve and debate the case. And even more to wake up the topic one year later, still aiming the same player.

I hope this topic to be closed asap, and if some want to debate on go pedagogy to start a new thread instead.

I have no problem with someone starting a thread on “is this normal on OGS?” or “did I do the wrong thing?” Of course it would have been better to describe the problem in general terms without naming the other player. But in some ways this approach is less aggressive than reporting the behaviour to a moderator. On most sites you don’t go to a mod for general advice, you go to get a result changed or a person punished.

I think most replies here have been constructive and it’s a useful conversation. It would seem weird to shut it down at this point, now that we’re past the most heated part of the debate.

2 Likes

One thing worth pointing out is that sometimes people type slowly because they’re just not very good at typing! In my day job, I’m often using a mix of video calls and instant messaging to work with other people. I’ve come across native English speakers who are very fluent on a call, but still take a full minute to type even one sentence.

4 Likes

I disagree. The moderator role is at first to smooth the relation between users when possible. Kind of conciliator. They have some competency in this and they avoid the opening of a public court like here.

Words in one of the last answer:

Someone here is playing a moderator role. I feel shame on all of us to continue that public trial.

And because it’s a public debate about a teacher being mentioned and without its consent i won’t tell my opinion on his teaching. Note that even some answers are quite heated against, we got some positive too, to bring some balance.

Let’s not be fooled by the starting words; the OP put away the name but it’s still very easy to find it with the link to the game. Besides keeping his name, he even gives a judgement afterwards (become nicer).

I would feel bad if I am that player to read this topic, giving me publicly advices i never asked. Really.

3 Likes

I understand the concern, and perhaps it is the right thing to close the thread since OGS disallows naming and shaming.

However, practically, I don’t think it does much since the most recent “revival” of this thread actually came from Reddit and had nothing to do with this thread’s OP.

Let’s not be fooled this time again as the link of the game is there in the reddit post

The opened and reported thread on reddit here is about the same teacher and a game he played here on OGS. I wouldn’t care what is written there as long as it isn’t coming to here to fuel the topic again with the same player on the same theme.
It’s like reopening the court one year later.

Bad teachers have been around since KGS days. If you think a teacher is not suitable, you should move on to the next one. You are not obliged to stay with the same teacher even if you have already paid.

My only concern is that if this kind of “name and shame” regarding teachers becomes more common, fewer players would be willing to teach. Whenever they try to teach, they would be worried whether the teaching style is okay for the student and whether he would be shamed for his bad teaching.

7 Likes