First move etiquette

These things are true, but what do they have to do with the discussion at hand? If you had actually taken the trouble to read what I wrote, you would have seen that my objection to playing the first move elsewhere than the upper-right corner has absolutely nothing to do with it being a Japanese convention: it has to do with the fact that almost every game of Go I have played since I was 16, which was 57 years ago, has started in the upper-right corner. All the fuseki patterns I have studied in my Go books involve the first stone being played in that corner. My analogy with chess (given in a previous post) is exact: playing in an unorthodox corner against a player such as myself is equivalent to forcing your opponent to play an online chess (or shogi or xiangqi) game with the screen showing HIS pieces at the top of the screen and his opponent’s pieces at the bottom, i.e. on the opponent’s side. I realise that for people whose principal, and sometimes only, experience of Go is over the Internet, this would be no problem. I hold no grudge against such players; I am simply unwilling to play a game that starts in that manner. For your information, I don’t accept other players’ game seeks; I only play games that start from MY seek being accepted. And all my games are correspondence. I don’t play realtime games on the Internet. Thus, virtually no time and certainly no effort is wasted by my opponent if he/she should play elsewhere. As it happens, almost all of my game seeks that are accepted start in the upper-right corner.

I’m sorry, but I did read what you had written.

I’m going to take your way of dealing with rudeness, and will leave this conversation here (without reading the rest of your post)

2 Likes

The truth hurts, doesn’t it? No, you didn’t read my posts: if you had, you would not have implied that I was “following a silly convention.” Your ENTIRE message was a good example of “rudeness.” Good riddance.

Please buy a mirror.

Also, since you’re accusing me of not reading your words, where did I imply that you are following a silly convention? Can you quote me on that?

1 Like

Eh…

2 Likes

In my previous post am not implying that you’re following a silly convention (although I do think that starting in the upper right is indeed a silly convention). I was pointing out that your way of upholding a standard to the game of Go by cancelling games against opponents who do not make the first move according to a silly convention, is a rude way of doing so.

And as said, it reminds me of how one is frequently expected in Japan to know and obey unwritten rules even if nobody has told you about them, and the weird (to me) practice that nobody will actually tell you directly that you’re doing something wrong either.
In the same way that you expect your online opponents to play their first move in a certain way, but then don’t explain to them what they are doing wrong, but instead cancel the game (from what I can find in your game history, usually without explanation).

You’re expecting a standard, refuse opponents not respecting that standard, but give those opponents no way to learn what they are doing wrong.

1 Like

I found a game where he said “Sorry, but I do not accept games in which Black plays his/her first move in any other than the upper right corner.”

So it seems he does explain, at least sometimes.

That said, honestly if I received such an explanation after my game was cancelled, I would rather think “what a prick” than “thank you for enlightening me”.

4 Likes

Ah, I had missed that game. I didn’t look at all cancelled games, because there’s many of them…

A good point when something makes me laugh

1 Like

Extra points for going ad hominem immediately :tada::partying_face::champagne::laughing::wink:

Mh… dunno about etiquette of walking and eating, and I guess I wouldn’t care much BUT he may be right about it being bad for digestion.
Also, the danger of choking is quite high when eating or drinking while walking, at least that’s my experience, and AFAIK it’s not only mine.

1 Like

Of course the danger of choking is MUCH HIGHER when eating or drinking while reading this forum :rofl:

6 Likes

“What if I told you …”

… that I often eat while playing my moves … in correspondence games … while following the traditional first move etiquette … :smiley:

1 Like

cheetoh dust looks great on clamshell

3 Likes

Best opening move?

• Q4
  • R11

0 voters

1 Like

OK, now I need to try R11 in one of my next games :smiley:

2 Likes

E4 best by test
— Bobby Fischer