Five things you would stock for an emergency

The interesting about any of these goods in a post-collapse society is that as they’re used up they’ll become rarer if not still under production, making their value rise and necessitating the need for lower and lower values of currency.

In that regard I do not think that it matters what you have and how much they can be traded for. What does matter is if you will be able to defend them from the mob that will pry it out of your hands for long enough to establish that you are willing to trade.

If you really think about it, if something REALLY goes wrong, few people with any semblance of preserving society will survive from our part of the world. Those people with bunkers in America come to mind and the monks of mount Athos … the rest of us, as a whole, do not really have any long term survival skills.

This leads into an interesting concept in which mining landfill sites from the pre-collapse past would become a profitable exercise. That was an idea used by Iain M. Banks in his novel Against a Dark Background.

That is actually the concept of a very cynical comic here that was called “Μετά την καταστροφή” (after the destruction) where only two people survive, one an educated cultured erudite and the other a simple everyday person.

The panels read:
1)
Erudite: We cannot sit around and do nothing! We need to look for more survivors.
Everyday person: There are no other survivors

2)
Erudite: There might be some. We need to find them! rebuild society…
Everyday person: Rebuild society??? Are you MAD?..

3)
Everyday person: … so that the world can once again fill with cops and social servants? To live in a world filled with “educated” snobs like you? So, I can once again be the idiot of the whole story?

4)
Everyday person: … No sir! Enough with your societies! I am for the first time in my life, free, and I shall remain so.
Erudite: You are an uncultured person with an inferiority complex, that’s what you are…

5)
Erudite: … but know this! You cannot stop civilizations! Human kind will continue its way forward!

6)
Everyday person: Speak for yourself because, as it is, half of human kind does not intende to move an inch towards anywhere

5 Likes

Reminds me of another Leslie Fish song:

1 Like

One of my favorite expectation vs reality memes, zombie apocalypse

8 Likes

A knife with a stone to keep it sharp
A (big) soap
A weiqi set
A adventure cooking fire fueled by different kind of combustible and a piezoelectric to light it
Pics from my life before
A metallic bottle with Clean water

+Small emergency
Phone+charger

+Holocaust
A towel

(More to take:
Map
Cutting nail
Aspirine
Pills to clean water
Book about harvest
Tools
Cage
Fishing things
Thread and rope
dried fruits and nuts a bag of wheat to start with packed in a good light tissue bag
A small robust backpack
A light can charge by :sun_with_face:

List going too long)

1 Like

A knife? so 1800 …

Toilet paper is the right answer.

4 Likes

That was a great list, but chances are if you packed those, you’d throw them away very soon because all they would do is give you super depression.

It is a bit like those people that go to the mandatory army service and immediately start the countdown till they return to their “normal life” (funny enough they do not count normally, e.g. “365 days till discharge”, but count it like this: “364 and today, till discharge” adding extra weight to each day, which I always found weird). Almost all of them invariably get messed up and depressed even as soon as “300 and today” :stuck_out_tongue:

However, the other people that only start the countdown when it is realistic ( 50 and today before discharge) always fare better, have a good time and generally find some use in the whole ordeal.

Now imagine if there was no end in sight, no date of discharge, and you held photos of an old life you couldn’t return to. :thinking: :face_with_head_bandage:

Those where very good!!
Though, to be honest, when it comes for apocalyptic music, I think that Ayreon is the way to go:

1 Like

Recently reread Robert Heinlein’s post apocalyptic Farnham’s Freehold. In the first few chapters Heinlein shows he did some serious thinking on what to stock for a major emergency.

The most interesting thing to stock is (in my honest opinion) not material but mental: the ability to adapt your way of thinking and handle according to the new situation. When the world as we know it is gone, so are a lot of its mores. Clinging to old values, laws and habits may seriously handicap your chances of survival. Adapt or perish.

2 Likes

I ll take pics not just for memory but to share something with others I may meet.

1 Like