fMRI brain study of error-monitoring in children

In the endless quest for figuring out how to get better at go, I thought y’all would be interested in this study:

https://rossier.usc.edu/files/2020/07/fmri-study-error-monitoring.pdf

Abstract:

The development of error monitoring is central to learning and academic achievement. However, few studies exist on the neuralcorrelates of children’s error monitoring, and no studies have examined its susceptibility to educational influences. Pedagogicalmethods differ on how they teach children to learn from errors. Here, 32 students (aged 8–12 years) from high-quality Swisstraditional or Montessori schools performed a math task with feedback during fMRI. Although the groups’accuracies were similar,Montessori students skipped fewer trials, responded faster and showed more neural activity in right parietal and frontal regionsinvolved in math processing. While traditionally-schooled students showed greater functional connectivity between the ACC,involved in error monitoring, and hippocampus following correct trials, Montessori students showed greater functional connectivitybetween the ACC and frontal regions following incorrect trials. Thefindings suggest that pedagogical experience influences thedevelopment of error monitoring and its neural correlates, with implications for neurodevelopment and educatio

4 Likes

Never knew what Montessori schooling was, thanks. Interesting stuff.

1 Like

I came across another brain study with children and thought I’d just add it to this thread.

One can surmise it applies to go: playing on a real board with physical stones engages your senses, which stimulates your brain better than playing on a screen.

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-10-kids-smarter.amp

“The use of pen and paper gives the brain more ‘hooks’ to hang your memories on. Writing by hand creates much more activity in the sensorimotor parts of the brain. A lot of senses are activated by pressing the pen on paper, seeing the letters you write and hearing the sound you make while writing. These sense experiences create contact between different parts of the brain and open the brain up for learning. We both learn better and remember better,” says Van der Meer.

3 Likes

Yeah, this is the reason why I used to use my real board when trying to memorise pro games. As well as simply to get some use out of it.

2 Likes

Even more with shell and slate on a kaya. (Not joking).

2 Likes

I just got a mini portable magnetic set, and it’s all synthetic materials. It feels, sounds, and looks like plastic. Light creates glare. I tried setting up a tsumego on it that I wanted to more deeply absorb, but I changed my mind about using it for this sense-learning reinforcement.

The trouble is that I don’t really have the space for setting up and leaving out a full sized board. And also one of many cats in the house are likely to disturb stones. Oh well. I guess I’ll do the best I can with mostly digital study, and an occasional over-the-board game.

1 Like

Hum, each set has his use. Are you ready for the day you’d like to invite another go player for a game?

2 Likes

Yes! I’ve been living in Beijing for almost two years, and have collected a variety of sets:

1. Bamboo goban and bowls with double convex yunzi.
  2. Rollable mat goban with woven bowls and single convex yunzi, with carrying case.
  3. Folding board with bags, single convex melamine (?) stones.
  4. 13x13 mini magnetic set
  5. 19x19 mini magnetic set
  6. Old laminated wood board without stones, left behind by our previous apartment’s occupants. My wife threw out the stones, which were kind of sticky. I think they were like a yunzi material, but very unevenly made such that some were very large and some small, and most oval.
3 Likes