Forum favicon slightly different (can we make it more different?)

I noticed recently that the “favicon” for this forum is very slightly different from the one for the main site, so they show up differently in tabs:

The appearance is also slightly different on a phone, in Chrome’s new tab groups:

(The forum one, #2, appears slightly bigger.)

I think the reason is that the forum uses just one 32x32 blurry favicon:

While the main site has a set of four nice ones, at 16x16, 32x32, 96x96, and 192x192:

image image image image

Anyway, while I doubt it was intentional for the forum to be stuck with a blurry version of the logo, it’s actually useful for them to have different icons, especially in the mobile browser case above, where there are no text labels. So instead of fixing this by making them match, I’d like to suggest that we adopt a significantly different icon for the forum!

Does anyone have suggestions? (And/or talent to implement them?)

6 Likes

The favicon is the logo, which is part of the brand. That’s something you wouldn’t rush to change.

That said, I wonder whether in the case of the forum the image can be tweaked slightly to suggest someone talking - maybe a small triangular slice taken out to make it look like a mouth…

6 Likes

Pacgo!

4 Likes

I got you covered:

Forums favicon

6 Likes

I thought of some short lines (like 3 black on white 3 white on black) to evoke writing

5 Likes

Maybe a smiley?

3 Likes

Or just put a sad face on the one where we actually try to play games :wink:

Happy: talking about go
Sad: playing go

:smiley:

5 Likes
2 Likes

Of course not, that’s the point of having this serious discussion first😀

Also, it’s just part of the logo, which already has both dark and light versions:

So there is precedent for changing at least the colors.

One idea I had was two copies of the stone, to represent a group of people meeting together. But the stone itself already has two colors, and people come together (to play games) on the other server, too, so I’m not sure whether that metaphor works.

Another idea: what about a black & white speech bubble?

Site

Forums

4 Likes

The forums logo

2 Likes

We have this current logo because OGS was originally Othello Game Server, with go as one variant, right?

I seen huge OGS logo in memes before and its always blurry
but OGS actually has svg file with which you can get ANY resolution without low quality

svg

ogs

3 Likes

Looks like there’s moderate support for SVG favicons in browsers:

https://caniuse.com/link-icon-svg

2 Likes

(Almost a meme)
Btw I was considering smaller lines of text, like too difficult to read when size reduced but my phone pic app doesn’t let me to do this.
@stone.defender thanks for that big logo

2 Likes