Forum feature suggestion: cool heads mode

I don’t know if this is possible what with the OGS forums being a 3rd party application rather than bespoke in-house development, but given recent activity I think for “hot topic” threads the ability to put a post rate limiter (e.g. you can’t make a post within 1 hour of your last one) on ALL users in just that topic could improve the quality of the discourse.

10 Likes

This feature already exists with the forums software (Discourse). As a demonstration, I have just enabled it for this thread. Each user can only post once every ten minutes. This effect lasts for two days. This is just a demo and all of these parameters are customizable.

In the past, I’ve suggested that this might be useful as a gimmick for some forum games.

10 Likes

Note: moderators are not limited by this restriction

5 Likes

Lol that’s who we need it for

12 Likes

Interesting… then I think more use should be made of it! Though as benjito says, mods can be hot-headed humans too so it should apply to them as well.

1 Like

Useless if someone uses multiple accounts to argue in the thread.

7 Likes

What about blitz topic: it automatically closes if no one posts reply in a hour

5 Likes

Well that’s just an insta-ban.

1 Like

That feature also exists (for example, a 3-month time out is applied to posts in #ogs-development since some technical discussions can quickly become obsolete).

By combing the two options, you could play a silly little forum with people trying to end up as the last poster.

4 Likes

Result: walls of text instead of one-liners.

2 Likes

I dunno, this thread has been satisfyingly concise.

I really do think the emoji curse went underappreciated.

2 Likes

What purpose would that serve?

Does it also prevent editing comments?

Otherwise I’m looking forward to threads where each person posts a single comment, and keep editing it to reply to others.

2 Likes

Partially, regular users can still edit their comment within a few minutes, but edits of older comments count as a new post.

1 Like

What good should come from letting a bad situation escalate without any checks? I am in favour of measures that cool heated situations. In my experience it usually benefits the situation imho