Forum vs Chat

I like that this community has both a chat feature built into the site and this forum, even though I never use the former. I used to think that the chat was superfluous given the forum (which is probably due to my bias for the forum), but then I realized that these venues of communication can be thought of with following analogy.

chat : forum :: live : correspondence

6 Likes

OGS chat is not about Go :wink:

5 Likes

There is the “Off Topic” chat. I think it’s the one where all the talk about Go happens. :wink:

6 Likes

To be fair, the main chat channel is called “English”, which is a pretty accurate description.

4 Likes

The forum is nice yes, but the other day I found an additional feature… The chat room has a very interesting mini game built in based on black and white stones :thinking:

16 Likes

^^^ That deserves an explicit :rofl: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: !!!

1 Like

There are some great differences between forum chat and game chat.

In forum chat you have more space to write your message (in game chat only 1 line) and you can also see if someone is typing an answer to the thread (in game chat you don’t know if your opponent is writing something, only if they are still there or not).

More space has already been discussed elsewhere. A typing alert in the game chat is something I haven’t encountered yet (but maybe I missed it).

Besides more space to type in game chat I would also love to have a typing alert (so that I know a message is coming).

How about it?
Or am I the only one who likes such a feature?

The chat room name turn blue when a new message is written and you are not there.

This is a good resume of the difference. Chat has no memory, it’s volatile and lively. In forum you have all the time you want.

4 Likes