Gender Survey

If you are not interested in this topic, you can mute it. You can find this function at the bottom of each thread.

If you want to discuss only go, you can mute the whole “general chat” category in your forum settings.

The same is possible if a users.

11 Likes

Just as an aside, I believe the problems with SE are not because discussion on gender got out of hand, but because the community has lost its confidence in the management team. The real issue is a lack of transparency, the fact that mods and community managers get fired without proper reasons, that the management team relicensed the content of the website without consent, that their response to all of this has been very poor, and several other things like this.

The gender discussion is not really what has been the problem.

4 Likes

Whenever new poll is posted on OGS forum

14 Likes

@BronzeV I understand your concerns, but I - as a user and not a promoter - have read the poll as a normal attempt to have a statistic on how many man/ladies are playing Go on OGS. Yes, there are also other genders that probably are not represented correctly among the proposed choices. Probably it would be enough to add Others as the third option due to their supposed residual statistical relevance.
Do not make a drama for it. And for me… welcome to all the genders.

4 Likes

This was exactly my intention with this poll. In the course of playing on OGS, I tend to think of every opponent as “he” and was simply curious what percentage of players actually are guys.

The inclusion of other genders in the poll was simply my best attempt at not leaving anyone out. I never intended for this thread to turn into a discussion on gender politics. It only veered that way because I mistook the initial flagging of this thread due to user privacy concerns for something that it was not.

The poll is far from ideal, but it will serve its purpose in giving some idea as to the statistics. I’m curious what Google Analytics has to say about it. @anoek Do you have any insights for us?

1 Like

You may be overestimating the number of people that take issue with these types of polls.

I, for one, would love to know which text editor is more popular in the Go community. (SPOILER: if it’s emacs, I am quitting this game.)

8 Likes

4 posts were split to a new topic: Text editors that Go players like

Back on topic: did this poll need to clarify about transgender? Don’t transgender people by definition identify as the nominated gender, so calling it out was superflous, after phrasing the question correctly (as was done)?

I suspect that if this call-out had not been done, transgender people would have felt included by the question, and people who find the topic hard to countenance would not have had it drawn to their attention :wink:

2 Likes

You’re right. In fact, I suppose my specification that they are included could potentially be offensive to a transgender person :pensive:

Moral of this story: it is seriously hard to come up with a correct poll :smiley: :smiley: (I feel the pain, see “should analyse mode default off” :slight_smile: )

1 Like

I was just about to say that the sentiment around almost every poll I’ve encountered here (mine and others) seems to be something like this:

3 Likes

Google analytics reports

Online-go.com: 73.65% male 26.35% female
Forums: 79.25% male 20.75% female

10 Likes

There are three types of gender:

• gender assigned at birth
  • gender assigned by yourself as soon as you’re able to
  • gender assigned by Google :stuck_out_tongue:

(btw, I use a script blocker)

3 Likes

That’s actually a pretty good match for the poll eh.

1 Like

Is it? 20% women vs 5% is a pretty big difference imo!

1 Like

:man_facepalming: You are right.

I’ll be happy if we forget I said that :open_mouth:

1 Like

Well, the poll is not static, but the post about stats was. Maybe at that certain point that you replied the poll reflected Anoek’s post? :wink:

1 Like

Very kind, but unfortunately that is not the case. My thinking at the time I replied was dubious at best, so let’s forget I said that.

1 Like

OK

<g,d&r>

2 Likes

Who needs enemies with friends like you, Tom :wink:

3 Likes