General proverb discussion

Diagram: bugcat (B) – BenKyo

Consider the meaning of the sequence A, B, C.

Black is trying to save the small three-strong group on the left, but the real object of White’s attack is the larger group of eight stones on the right.

This proverb is another way of talking about leaning attacks.

(Of course, at this level it’s not entirely that simple, since the reason Black is trying to save the three-stone group is in order to prevent the white stones from connecting to the bottom side.)

Ok, thanks. Interesting… I will have to mull over that one for a while until I see it come up in a few games :smiley:

1 Like

Not quite a proverb, but I ran into this observation in an SL discussion of taisha avoidance or, more pedantically, taisha sidelines:

if you want to play a move that feels right, but you can’t remember having seen it in any joseki variation, so you play another move because that one does appear in such a variation, you have stopped playing Go at that very moment. – dieter, 2001

1 Like

The SL page Use Go to Meet Friends offers a chengyu (four-hanzi phrase) 以棋会友 yǐ qí huì yoǔ, translatable as through Go, meet friends.

1 Like

seequ made a succint statement in the BeginnerGo discord today:

If the breaker is fully sente, the ladder never worked.

It’s obvious, but perhaps only in retrospect…

I don’t get it. Sounds profound though.

edit: about me replying to the wrong comment, all I can say is fake news.

Let’s say white is caught in a ladder. There are a number of moves white can play to break the ladder, i.e. provide a stone to connect to so that black can’t use the ladder to capture white. Ladder breakers are generally sente against the ladder as black needs to capture the ladder stone(s) or the ladder becomes a cut (or worse). However, if one or more of White’s ladder breaker moves is sente anyway against some of Black’s other stones even in the absence of the ladder, then black has to respond there. So then: white escapes the ladder; or white gets profit if black chooses to capture the ladder and allow white to follow up the sente move in the other place. :sunglasses:

1 Like

KJYD4 wasn’t replying to the ladder one! But rather the one about a move giving you the feels but not being joseki.

oh yeah, woops :roll_eyes:

I think he actually replied to the ladder proverb first, by accident, and then later (after dragon-devourer replied) switched it to its intended destination.

I checked a few hours ago and I think I remember seeing it point to the ladder post.

1 Like

https://senseis.xmp.net/?DieterVerhofstadt%2FListOfTrustworthyProverbs

Recommended for DDKs. If you’re an SDK then everything will probably seem obvious, which means that your basic instinct is healthy.

https://senseis.xmp.net/?GreatQuotes

frutis at Sensei's Library (more quotes)

I just now rediscovered a saying that I’d heard before. I’d forgotten the attribution or perhaps I was never aware of it.

To paraphrase:

An eyeless group costs twenty points; a one-eyed group costs up to ten points.

The source is apparently former insei Rob van Zeijst, from his QARTS system (Quantitative Analysis of Relative Territory and Strength), which he explained in his Magic of Go column.

1 Like

Bolt the door to catch the thief – “Against an invasion which is too deep, play a capping move or a move to increase your moyo, then rely on your thickness. The opponent’s lone stone must now fight for life surrounded by your thickness.”

This is part of Sensei’s Library’s series of articles adapting the 36 Stratagems of ancient Chinese warfare to Go.

1 Like

Not a proverb, but a relatable sentiment I heard from Yeonwoo:

“I get very nervous when I see victory is there – I can catch it. Then it’s nervous time.”

3 Likes

It’s usually the most active time training your counting… Especially in close games

1 Like