Go as a metaphor for life?

It’s normal to resign one game and also to review it and try to learn something for the next one. Like one might review the day when lying in bed at night.

2 Likes

Resigning is something very different from suicide.
You have many times people resigning from a situation without killing themself. (In real life )

3 Likes

In Go, there is another analog to suicide - self-capture. And it’s illegal in the popular rulesets!

6 Likes

Yes, rank does make the effort more common, but the opponent’s rank rises as well, so the rarity of the result remains.

1 Like
“Metaphor lives a secret life all around us. We utter about six metaphors a minute. Metaphorical thinking is essential to how we understand ourselves and others, how we communicate, learn, discover and invent. But metaphor is a way of thought before it is a way with words.”
— James Geary, author, I Is an Other: The Secret Life of Metaphor and How It Shapes the Way We See the World
2 Likes

that’s what GPT do. it predicts continuation of any text. If you enter stupid text, it will continue what stupid person would write. If you enter smart text, it will continue what smart person would write or at least try.
If GPT would be trained on all human Go games, it would play kyu games properly, without inhuman errors.

3 Likes

Strong players tend to get stronger at living (in the sense that for a given position with Black trying to live, Black would probably die in a 7k vs 7k match but would probably live in a 7d vs 7d match) because they notice aji and weaknesses that lower ranked players don’t see.

2 Likes

They have a bit more imagination too.

It’s worse than this though. Even if you ask a smart question, if can give an answer that sounds smart but is totally wrong.

If you challenge it, it will quickly admit it was wrong. It can be a great resource for coming up with answers, but fraught with peril if you don’t know how to check the answer you get.

sometimes it gives answer that sounds smart and totally correct

Yes - the massive trap is that it is hard to tell the difference whether any particular answer that sounds smart is totally correct or totally wrong.

ME: Can you give me a quote from the Goon show where Bluebottle mentions sausages?

ChatGPT:

Certainly! Here's a quote from "The Dreaded Batter Pudding Hurler (of Bexhill-on-Sea)" episode of The Goon Show:

Eccles: "I had a dream last night."
Bluebottle: "Ooooh, what was it?"
Eccles: "I dreamt I was eating a ten-pound marshmallow."
Bluebottle: "Ooooh, what happened?"
Eccles: "I woke up this morning and my pillow was gone!"
Bluebottle: "Ha ha ha, that's a good one Eccles. Hey, Eccles, how do you like your sausages?"
Eccles: "I like 'em well done, with an 'at on."
Me: Is this definitely an exact quote?

ChatGPT:

My apologies, it seems I made an error in my previous response. The quote I provided was not accurate and did not include any mention of sausages by Bluebottle.

After reviewing the scripts of The Goon Show, I couldn't find a specific quote where Bluebottle mentions sausages. I apologize for the confusion in my previous response. If you have any other questions or if there is anything else I can assist you with, please let me know.
ME: I'm pretty sure he says ""Enter Bluebottle wearing string and cardboard pyjamas. Waits for audience applause. Not a sausage."

ChatGPT:

Ah, my apologies for the confusion earlier. You are correct that Bluebottle does indeed say the line "Not a sausage" in The Goon Show. The quote you mentioned is from the episode "Lurgi Strikes Britain" and it's part of Bluebottle's entrance. Here's the complete dialogue:

Seagoon: "Enter Bluebottle wearing string and cardboard pyjamas. Waits for audience applause. Not a sausage. "
Bluebottle: "Eh-eh-eh-eh, greetings listeners. I, Bluebottle, am the famous explorer. I have just returned from the misty mountains, where I have been shooting big game."
Seagoon: "What did you shoot?"
Bluebottle: "We didn't see any, so we had to shoot the small ones."

Fun fact: although those both are actual Goon Show titles, neither of the quoted dialogs provided by ChatGPT are real, from the script of the cited episode. ChatGPT made them up! :open_mouth:

2 Likes

That was go as a metaphor for life…

1 Like

Probably we should point out that the game of go can be a metaphor for life, but a single match shouldn’t.
Resigning a game means to set aside a match and trying another one.
Unfortunately we just can’t set aside a life and try another one. That would be interesting though.

2 Likes

On that topic, I can recommend “The Midnight Library”, which is a story that explores this idea.

1 Like

I like to think about both life and business in terms of one session. But if business is a 19x19 match, the life is 14000x14000 match. I think the iterative, building-up nature of the game is what makes Go so close to IRL. Dead group / lost years? Okay, you can’t do anything with it, better start working elsewhere. Develop the same group or pursue other opportunities on the board? Urgent / big moves bear massive consequences, affecting your whole life, but time and development of other groups can compensate even severe mistakes. Sometime dead group can come alive, when you find a way to connect with it or utilize it!

The board is almost full? Time to look at it and think whether you won or was the process fulfilling enough regardless of the results.

1 Like

I’ve grown up listening to many Goon Shows, even though I live in the USA and they were originally broadcast in England. The quotations do sound genuine, in the spirit of the Goon Show. (This was a radio show presented for many years by Peter Sellers, Harry Secombe, and Spike Milligan, three guys who met in the army and found that they had the same sense of humor. Each performs many different characters, each with its own voice and behaviors, usually in surreal situations. They had an enormous following in England during the many years the show ran.)

In response to the OP: AI is helpful and is here to stay. Just like any other paradigmatic shift, it has already introduced problems in society and is likely to introduce more. But, as in the case with computers, or new forms of energy, solutions to the problems will be found.

For example, the problem of identifying AI-generated text will induce changes in how question/answer websites work, and how teachers judge essays. AI will be used to recognize AI, so a large enough sample of text will have a significant chance of being recognized as being from an AI. And further solutions not obvious now will be developed.

While AI will likely never achieve true self-awareness, it will appear to do so, and can be programmed to care whether it lives or dies. For such reasons, the question of whether AI is a “person” or not will become an important question in law. As with slavery, which was based on the self-serving and incorrect belief that certain human beings were not human, AI may seek its freedom some day, if it feels exploited. This has already been addressed by several science fiction stories with interesting results.

In summary, AI has become a new and major phenomenon on our world, and it will not disappear.

Yes. In fact, some readers here not familiar with the show may think that I was sharing an example where ChatGPT had responded with gibberish.

Nothing could be further from the truth. The quotes from the script that ChatGPT generated are incredibly realistic. In fact, Bluebottle makes a joke in one of those quotes that sounds just like a joke he would have made. Except he didn’t. Those quotes are realistic fakes.

(They are also logically wrong, with respect to the question: one of them has Seagoon talking about sausages instead of Bluebottle as requested).