Go Books

Hi everyone,
I started playing go a few weeks ago, and I want to learn a bit deeper. I’d like to know if there is a good go book that I could buy, and also if this a good way to learn the basics. My knowledge of the game is very poor, and I only learned a few things through my games.
Thank you very much in anticipation !

Suggest you take a look at some free stuff online that will cover “basics”. Refer to Tutorial after clicking “I’m new to go” for a few suggestions. Others are sure to suggest specific books.

2 Likes

Check out the link ‘other go resources’ on OGS in the menu.
There are some great suggestions in there.
Apart from that, I enjoyed the series ‘so you want to play go’ by Jonathan hop. It has a casual style to it that made it an entertaining read.

2 Likes

321go.org

2 Likes

http://senseis.xmp.net/?Books

2 Likes

I strongly recommend Richard Bozulich’s “The Second Book of Go”. It helped me a lot, after I had learned the rules. It outlines the things that go on in a game, the kinds of things you are trying to achieve and the sorts of tactics and ideas that exist.

2 Likes

Thank you very much everyone for answering ! I will dig into it !

There’s the Kiseido series like Elementary go or Mastering the basics which are very good for the ones that I’ve read. I also strongly recommend Opening theory made easy to beginners.
I remember that reading the serie Learn to play go by Janice Kim helped me when I was starting but try to get them cheap, it’s not the kind of book I go back to reread at all compared to the Kiseido ones.
In any case, it makes sense to start studying the opening well first. Then you can pick whatever you feel like improving from that point but usually it would be something like tsumego, basic joseki and tesuji.

There is something I omitted from that post I linked to. In my own opinion: Do not buy a joseki dictionary. When I started long ago, it was one of the first things I bought along with Davies’ Elementary Go series. It was a waste for me and there are probably other things that would be better investments. Now there is online stuff like http://eidogo.com which includes Joseki Tutor: Kogo’s Joseki Dictionary | Kombilo / Pro Game Database

I think I’ll add that to the other topic.