Go guide by professional

Gamerules.com - a site where the rules of hundreds of board games are collected. It is visited by 300 thousand people a month. There was a Go game missing, but I fixed that. Here is my detailed article that introduces the game to beginners:
Go Guide
I plan to make it bigger.

15 Likes

Well done. Impressive.

2 Likes

Wow, that is no small guide!
Well done, I’m definitely going to be saving this link to share elsewhere.

2 Likes

I think there is not enough text about Go rules. But too many text about everything else.
Some people will be afraid to start to read too huge text and those who will not watch that video, may understand Go rules not enough.

3 Likes

example

1 Like

Not sure it is well fitted example as the shogi rules are much longer by their process.

1 Like

This guide is an excellent introduction to Go. I’m at best a middling Go player (about 8 kyu) but I’ve written often about the game. This piece provides a lot of information and does so clearly and succinctly.

2 Likes

Very nice guide!

However:

OGS (Online Go Server) and DGS (Dragon Go Server) – For those who prefer slower-paced Go by correspondence. Each game can last a month, or even longer. You can also play blitz here.

LOL, I have only fond memories of DGS but … simply adding “[y]ou can also play blitz here” certainly does not do OGS justice, as OGS offers everything between blitz and ten thousand year games.

1 Like

Europe should be included in the last part of the list.

1 Like

Europe? We don’t have such country

Technically true, but isn’t the EGF roughly on par with the AGA and (though far smaller and weaker) the KBA and its Japanese and Chinese equivalents? So even though 4 represent countries and one represents a group of countries, it does feel like it deserves inclusion, right?

And technically isn’t Canada included in the AGA? Or something to that effect?

I hope you understand that by using a semantic trick you are denying a part of the reality.
Let’s compare things fairly; a Chinese province has the size and population of a European country.

Another good angle.

“Beginners: It is enough to find good books. Beginner books usually have a lot of problems and you need to solve them. It is not recommended to play a lot of games”

I strongly disagree with the last sentence
In the very early step practice is more essential.
Studying without practice is a bad advice

“The AI made Go noticeably more boring.”

What’s a sad statement… True or not maybe not the best thing to say to people who are interested in discovering this game’ ahahah

Anyway expect that, very good article lot of interesting facts! Very enjoyable to read

4 Likes

I agree for both point of view on their positive side:
Read some go books: it’s really hard to go play without any guidance. Go books can offer some things for inspiration although i will suspect that the beginner will understand almost nothing from the book. Still a valuable activity like admiring some piece of art.

Play a lot: yes and even more. playing is essential to build your view (more as your thinking, it will come later)

2 Likes

I don’t know if the advice is right or wrong since “a lot of games” is not defined. Anyway spending 50% of the time studying (or a bit more) and 50% of the time playing (or a bit less) looks correct for a beginner.

50 games or 100 games depending on who you ask :grin:

1 Like

BTW, I seem to remember a proverb:

Read a book, and you get one stone weaker.

And then, IMX, after a while, you get two or more stones stronger.

Another one :
Lost your first 100 games as quickly as possible

1 Like