Go in Fiction

What are Go-related novels and short stories exist? I am familiar with the following:

Yasunari Kawabata. The Master of Go.

Sung-Hwa Hong. First Kyu: A Fable.

Shan Sa. The Girl who Played Go.

Trevanian. Shibumi.

Günter Karau. Go oder Doppelspiel im Untergrund.

2 Likes

Which is the best of those?

1 Like

I personally liked First Kyu the best. I also liked the Girl who Played Go but it is always hard to write about the experience of Japanese imperialism since the depiction of the Japanese tend to become a bit stereotypical (I’m not trying to excuse Japanese colonialism and imperialism). The Master of Go is also good. I have not read Karau’s book yet, and I have not been able to read Shibumi because I find that it is so ridiculously written that I am not able to force myself to read it.

1 Like

how about merging these threads?

I think “books that mention go” and “books about go” are sufficiently different to warrant two threads.

3 Likes

A game of Go in fiction.

P.S. I know this game exists in the anime but I’ve never watched it so I don’t know the background.

1 Like