Go in r/place, Reddit

Please help with this cause.

This is where we are starting:

1 Like

You’re not going to explain what “r/place” is?

Come on, put in a little effort.

1 Like

It’s a public collaborative art experiment happening on Reddit over the new few days. On a shared 1000-by-1000 pixel canvas, each user can only edit a single pixel once per five minutes. Community-based factions tend to form in order to work on projects.

They also did the same experiment 5 years ago. More information from Wikipedia:

5 Likes

However, honestly, I have doubts about whether the Go community would have the ambition or interest to manage to establish a lasting presence on the canvas.

I mean, it’s not like we play a visual game on a grid that is like drawing a picture one pixel at a time…

5 Likes

Sounds like it’s a 5 min byo yomi where your opponent always uses all of their time :slight_smile:

It’s actually relatively interesting to watch. Some of it is fairly creative

I mean this isn’t necessarily the most creative thing, but I think it’s funny how it evolved from two flags to mirrored drinks

5 Likes

Where can I buy the NFT?

3 Likes

Is it always changing?

That’s a cool experiment but hard to view as a spectator.
(Especially on a smartphone!!!)

1 Like

I think some people will try to change it, others maintain it, and then sometimes there’s some collaborations of sorts. Not sure how that works, maybe organises in discords or subreddits etc

E.g

I think watching recaps of it is easier in some sense.
Someone streamed like 12 hours of it

Or just a Timelapse of it

5 Likes

Did you notice how often with bordering flags, they create a tiny heart straddling the border with each half showing a miniature version of the neighboring flag? I believe that it is a symbol of peaceful coexistence, indicating cooperation between the factions maintaining each flag. Interesting to see new forms of communication and cultural displays emerging from this experiment.

5 Likes

(old)

1 Like

I think quite a number of things already happened like that in the 2017 one, so I guess some things carry over. Like the hearts and the germany France border turning into an eu flag.

I feel like a summary in the style of an old comical song from a flash video was a nice summary of the last one.

I think I’ve gotten too invested in seeing how this unfolds

2 Likes

The 3D visuals are pretty cool looking :slight_smile:

The reddit link in the beginning seems dead )I only saw messages from 20 hours ago) Is there any go-related effort still going on? A small ogs logo should not be so hard to maintain, given the size of ogs community.

1 Like
1 Like

I’ve seen a couple of twitch channels organise their viewers to make things. It’s pretty impressive how well these things can mobilise

2 Likes

Around 1440, 270 by r/shogi might be a good place to try something. It seems kind of unmaintained at the moment.

link

3 Likes

Baduk did the same

Screenshot_20220404-152245_Reddit

3 Likes