Go Jokes 😆

Me, thinking I was fighting valiantly and stuff.

AI:

Me. I’m the joke.

3 Likes

When they kept on questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, “Let any one of you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her.”

2 Likes

Never seen that translation. Which is it?
The line is usually translated as “cast the first stone”

I suppose Dutch translation. In Dutch, “werpen” = throw/cast. Though “werpen” is a bit archaic for “gooien”(throw), so perhaps “cast” would be a better translation into English. Original was in c̶l̶a̶s̶s̶i̶c̶a̶l̶ Koine Greek I suppose (New Testament)?

Many more of the various modern translations listed on Bible gateway use “throw” rather than “cast” (49 vs 13). However, the influential King James Version uses “cast”.

As an idiom, I do think that “cast the first stone” is the more commonly used phrase among English speakers. I think the somewhat archaic usage of the word “cast” makes it more clearly evocative of the Biblical connotations.

5 Likes

I was referring to the phrasing of “throw a stone at her” rather than the specific choice of throw vs cast. Sounds very unusual to see “a stone” rather than “the first stone” and also to directly state “at her” rather than leaving it implied.

1 Like
1 Like

Weird. He doesn’t source the translation either :man_shrugging:

Maybe here you can find a source?

1 Like

I’m having a mad 1984 moment here. I’m familiar with many of those versions and I swear I’ve never read “at her” included before… bizarre!

1 Like

Some mod needs to put this off-topic junk into a Go Jokes Pedantry thread.

1 Like

Y’all made me go look.

I know the original version here is “Ο αναμάρτητος υμών πρώτος τον λίθον βαλέτω”, basically “who is without sin, throw the first stone”.

In the modern Greek version, though, it says “Όποιος από σας είναι αναμάρτητος, ας ρίξει πρώτος την πέτρα πάνω της”, so the modern version adds “to her”.

By the way, there are two footnotes there, leading back to Deuteronomion, about the casting of stones, but it’s mentioned as punishment for idololatry, not adultery.

My copy is from the Greek Bible Society, with the endorsment of the Archbishop of Greece. I haven’t really been interested in checking different “translations”, as far as I know we only have the one.

*Connecting to a different discussion, such a child-friendly text, 10/10 would read again.

1 Like

[Deleted by author]

All English translations should just be interpretations of the best available Greek text, so it makes sense that there would be only one official Greek version, with maybe a few footnotes about disputed verses where original sources are unclear.

3 Likes

friend: hi, do you know the best place to learn Go?
me: go.dev/learn/

2 Likes

There’s a channel named “go” on the Libera irc server. The automatic welcoming message on the channel is "Go, the game, not the silly language. For the language see [other channel].

90% of the channel’s activity is people logging in, asking a question about the go programming language, then concluding “Oops, sorry, wrong channel.”

7 Likes

In the year 135,446, all of OGS excitedly awaited the first move of an historic game, the largest rengo ever, created on September 1, 2023, and featuring 999,999 players. The game had autostarted in 4762.

However, the first move was delayed because the first 970,799 players had died or otherwise abandoned OGS. Waiting for each of them to time out in succession had required the additional 130,684 years. Some players complained about these escapers, but they were reminded that escaping from a correspondence game is not a reportable offense.

Finally, Qfwfq was about to make the first move, when a Carrington event wiped out the server.

Who is Qfwfq?

Qfwfq is the protagonist of hilarious metaphysical satires in Italo Calvino’s Cosmicomics (1965).

3 Likes

I thought the story was entirely fictional but the rengo actually exists.

1 Like

Almost there:

Game auto-starts when 999986 more join…

1 Like

5 Likes