Go Memes Pedantry

I thought there were rules created to fool Western Go players so that they would never reach the performance of those in China, but after I applied them and saw that they were good I continued to say, to those I play with especially, that there are rules created to fool Go players in the West.

3 Likes

Still searching why my name is there ?

2 Likes

I cannot figure out neither.

Is this explanation enough?

1 Like

7 Likes

I think while it makes sense to focus on this in trying to capture the qualitative aspects, it doesn’t quite describe the content as a whole. I don’t think any particular instance not possessing a usual property disqualifies it from being classified as the same.

Many people could look at a terrible attempt at a meme but still recognise it as a meme by it being some sort of template for example. So I don’t think popularity or humour is necessarily a requirement, it’s just that the typical meme examples that come to mind are popular or funny etc.

5 Likes

I think you forgot to add a line on the bottom.

2 Likes

Maybe it’s the Mercedes logo

Straight back to pedantry, I see :smiley:

3 Likes

I found this picture on
https://www.dreamstime.com/photos-images/peacesign.html
where it was labelled as a peace sign, but all the other photos did indeed have an extra line, like this

without the pizza of course.

That is the peace sign, which was, I seem to recall, derived symbolically from a semaphore signal. At least 40 years ago, people were laughing about how the Mercedes logo was widely confused with the peace sign.

1 Like

There are much more peace signals.

1 Like

I’m not talking about the others, but about the symbol under discussion here, which was the symbol closely identified with the hippie movement in the 1960s. I was there, and I know.

I don’t think anyone confuses the Mercedes logo with the dove of peace.

2 Likes

Woodstock? Been there?

No, but I had friends that were there, as well as Mayday 1970 at the Pentagon.

2 Likes

Is that Richard Nixon?
Up until Donald Trump came along he was the prototype of an evil president, now he looks quite decent :- :rofl:

Yes, that’s Nixon. I don’t think the V signs were meant to signal peace. Maybe I should have used the caption “Peace Out” instead.

Hahaha, yeah, trump makes a lot of people look less bad, in comparison. Glad that he’s gone.

1 Like

Me too, let’s hope he doesn’t come back next election.

2 Likes

I think this Brandon fellow has a very good chance of getting in, he seems very popular these days!

4 years is too short, takes too much space in the news.

1 Like