Go problem, life/death

2023-04-03 12_34_01-Janice Kim, Jeong Soo-Hyun - The Way of the Moving Horse (Learn to Play Go, Volu

Hi,

Could someone please explain to me how black ensures life, if white, instead of 10, plays 10 at 11?

Your help is appreciated.

Thank you,

Bolimir

3 Likes

Could be that black doesn’t ensure life locally. But not answering at 10 and going for the kill instead may create a lot of annoyance for white like on the left side/corner or with the cutting points in the center,.or approaching from the right. White will be left with a very thin position.

4 Likes

Where does this situation come from? Is it a problem from a puzzle collection, or is it from a game?

It’s from a book for beginners. Supposed to illustrate a standard sequence, but I was just wondering about the aforementioned variation.

never seen

2 Likes

It’s from Janice Kim, Jeong Soo-Hyun - The Way of the Moving Horse (Learn to Play Go, Volume II) (Learn to Play Go Series) (1995, Good Move Press).

Me neither, but I haven’t read the book. I suspect we’re missing some context.

2 Likes

Is it just me, or does this seem like quite a complicated position that is not so suitable for beginners?

I actually have that book (but not on hand at the moment). I’ll have to check the context later.

1 Like

This is pretty complicated lol.

Likely it’s showing you a way to apply a explained shape or sequence rather than exploring this specific one. The question you asked is not possible to answer with only beginner concepts.