Go professionals' attributes game

I was gonna go with O Meien, but his major titles were early 21st C, but he did win some small ones earlier.

Cho U

1. has a child who is a professional go player
  2. has a parent who is a professional go player
bonus

The one I’m thinking of also has a spouse and grandparent who are/were pros

won Honinbo in 2000
bc there is no year 0, the year 2000 is in the 20th century!

Fujisawa Kazunari

1. has a parent who is a professional go player
  2. is married with a professional go player

Kobayashi Reiko

1.has a youtube channel with their spouse
2. is married with a professional go player

Ryan Li

1. is married with a professional go player
  2. has won a major title after the age of 40
1 Like

oh right, Ryan and Stephanie!
We were thinking of Nakajima Mieko / Ando Kazushige

anyhow

Hane Naoki

1. is married with a professional go player
  2. has won the Judan

Good point! As all the people celebrating the end of the millennium at end of 1999 misunderstood.

Ida Atsushi

1. has won the Judan
  2. is no longer alive.

Takagawa Kaku

1. is no longer alive
  2. has a Shusaku-number of 4

Are you sure there is an answer? The second column consists of runner-ups, not of winners.

P.S. How did you determine Shuyo’s Shusaku number?

Oops. Then there is no answer. My mistake.

And Miyashita’s Shusaku number is three, not four, since Shusaku is 0. (Shusaku → Iwasaki Kenzo → Shusai – Miyashita). Finding a deceased professional with a Shusaku number of four seems significantly more challenging.

I’ve just woken up…

I suspect that the late Manfred Wimmer, first western professional, had a Shusaku number of four.

Both Kerwin and Schlemper are listed on SL as having a four max through Iwamoto Kaoru (via the aforesaid Shusai path), so it’d make sense for Wimmer too as well.

But I can’t prove this.

How about Fujisawa Kuranosuke / Hosai?

He played often against Go Seigen, Iwamoto Kaoru, Kitani Minoru and Hashimoto Utaro, all of whom played against Shusai. But there’s no record (at least on Waltheri) of him facing Shusai himself.

There’s also no record there of him having played against Karigane Junichi, who is also down as being at Shusaku two.

So this would suggest a Shusaku number of four for Fujisawa.

Fujisawa was a little younger (~5–15 years) than all his famous contemporaries.

Though, I do wonder whether he might somehow have a three path through Kubomatsu Katsukiyo… nah, that seems unlikely. Even Shuei was at two.

I’ve done more research.

Ebisawa / Iwasaki Kenzo (1842-1913) played against Shusaku many times in 1859.

Kenzo had a number of pupils, including Fujita Toyojiro (1890-1960). It’s not unreasonable to think that Kenzo probably played at least once against Fujita, even if there’s no game on record.

Fujita played in a relay game, in 1922, against a team including Kubomatsu. Shusai was on Fujita’s team as well. So if you count this game, Kubomatsu had at least two claims to a Shusaku number of three… but all that gives Fujisawa is another path to four.

An interesting game.

The Black team: Kubomatsu Katsukiyo (1894-1941), Yoshida Misako (1881-1944), and the obscure Harima Kisaburo and Taniguchi Fusazo.

The White team: Shusai (1874-1940), Fujita Toyojiro (1890-1960), and the obscure Nakagawa Masako and Narukami Magoshichi.

Right then.

Fujisawa Kuranosuke / Hosai

1. Is no longer alive
  2. Played in the 18th century (1700s)