Go-related stuff that makes you feel old

I wouldn’t say that there are Go related things that make me feel very old, because Go is something I seriously picked up fairly recently when I was already in my 30ies. Though come to think of it, that “fairly recently” has already been three and a half years that “seem like yesterday”, so there is that I guess :stuck_out_tongue:

I still retain some of my youthful hobbies (e.g. basketball, reading and music) and my love for board games (obviously) and video games, so since those are “things that I always liked/did” I do not usually realise how much time passes. Looking every morning at 1/3 of my hair that have gone white in the mirror does the trick hahaha

On a more serious note, noone wants to grow old, see his mental faculties diminish and his physical abilities be curtailed, but it is inevitable. For me there is something that makes all this quite acceptable and tolerable: The fact that I am not really that good at anything I do, so when my time of decline comes, the world will keep on spining, noone will really notice and noone will really be harmed or hindered by my inabilities (apart for me, but that is beside the point). I find that oddly liberating. Turns out that mediocricy has a lot of merits.

Ok, I should lighten things up a little, eh ? :innocent:

2 Likes

2 Likes

”Go-related stuff that makes you feel old"

When go players in their 30s say they feel old…

4 Likes

32 and 38 feel really, really different. *sobs

2 Likes

I came from this with the other view, having only recently discovered the depths of go when AlphaGo happened, I was absolutely blown away by the fact that a computer was able to beat professional players. It basically came out of nowhere from an AI point of view and AlphaZero has been a huge inspiration to recent developments in AI. It was almost beautiful in itself.

Although, with AI research, I’m being blown off my chair every few months or so with what new technology is available

2 Likes

lol

When go players in their 30s say they feel old…

Well, actually Go is a kind of hobby which if you are in your 30ies you are a bit old, considering how young people must start studying for the game if they want to become pros (and how young they do become pros).

Be that as it may, age feels (and on some level actually is) relative to the amount of trouble/experience you had during the years. If you ran just a visual comparison of my classmates from school you would immediately notice on most of our faces the different rhythms of those years and the different toll they had on each of us (genetics also play a role here so the phenotype is not always indicative, but it is a good empiric tool).

2 Likes

explaining memes to old people :wink:

1 Like

Since “all your base are belong to us” is a really old meme, maybe it’s more of a case of old people explaining an ancient meme to younger people.

5 Likes

First, it’s all your base ARE belong to us.
Secondly, @Eugene has kids about my age :joy: so no, I’m not explaining things to people younger than me (at this point in time)

3 Likes

I love that we’ve got to the stage where there’s meme folklore being passed down the generations ^^

3 Likes

kids these days will never understand 90’s internet :heart: but we can try to share the pixelated glory haha

2 Likes

I am one of those kids :stuck_out_tongue:

Hmm, I probably came on the Internet in about 2008?

2 Likes

Around 1990, that is to say before the Internet went public in any significant way (we had never heard of it), a guy from the early AOL, if I recall correctly, came around to our offices to sell us on it. He had a “compact” computer in a large suitcase (“imagine that”) that weighed about 30 or 40 pounds. He tried to explain the Internet and offered to search for something for us. We gave him a few things to search for in some museums. He couldn’t find anything that we asked for. Trouble was, the Internet existed but almost nothing was available on it. We had to suppress our laughter. Thank you, but no thanks, we told him.

5 Likes

"“I think there is a world market for maybe five computers.” – spurious quote by Thomas J. Watson, 1943

2 Likes

Obligatory reference :woman_shrugging:

4 Likes

I’ve got to say, I’m kind of surprised at how popular home computers were before the Internet.

I mean, how do you sell a computer nowadays? Facebook, Youtube, Netflix, music, erotica…

Whereas in 1985 your pitch line was “You can play very, very pixellated video games… but you have to code them yourself first.”

3 Likes

Actually, I think those things today sell smartphones rather than computers.

I have no recollection of how PCs were marketed, honest to god I can’t remember what I did before online game walkthroughs.

2 Likes
7 Likes

The 128 ad was great :slight_smile: