Go variant: SAS Go

Yes, let’s continue tomorrow! Then I can make a video of refereeing or playing a game, which would make it easier for interested people to see how it works in practice (probably a bit difficult to understand by just looking at the history of the demo board).

4 Likes

Its 2020-07-09T00:00:00Z where I live.

1 Like

That timer shows the local time of whover is reading it (thus it shows me 2AM). It’s 2:38 in the night here, and I’m off to bed.

1 Like

Wait, you’ve already been doing this? What are the details? How does it work?

1 Like

https://www.playdiplomacy.com/

1 Like

well, we’ve been doing a corr game set up by chat regulars.

Hopefully this is the link to view: https://www.playdiplomacy.com/game_play_details.php?game_id=178195

otherwise you should search up the game name “OGS Diplomacy Special” on playDiplomacy.com, which is the name of our current running game

3 Likes

Ok, the first link worked and I see a diplomacy game, but what are the details? Are you just playing regular diplomacy? I thought you were talking about some sort of variant of Go that was more like diplomacy.

I used to be very into the board game diplomacy. I never tried the PlayDiplomacy site, but used to hang out a lot on http://webdiplomacy.net/

It’s standard diplomacy, but with regulars in OGS chat

1 Like

I’m glad you brought up the subject of sgo (simultaneous go). I’ve been thinking about that for awhile. Here are my ideas, which are actually quite a bit different than yours.

• No need for a referee, since the server can easily determine who clicked on a spot first.

• No collision rule needed. Whoever gets to a spot first gets that spot.

• My idea was to remove the entire whose-turn-is-it rule! Two possible versions of this are:

1. Hectic version: In this version, you click as fast as you can. Wherever you click, your stone appears. This could make for a VERY fast game unless the players choose to cooperate and think about their moves.
  2. Clock-tick version: For this version, a clock-tick time is chosen, for example 2 seconds. This means once you click somewhere, you won’t be allowed to click anywhere for at least 2 seconds.

How easy would it be to code this up in ogs? I could help with the coding if you like.

Who wants to play some more SAS-go today?

• Me!

0 voters

2 Likes

I’ll referee. Anyone want to play?

As @Vsotvep suggested maybe @le_4TC and @mark5000 would be good, I also want to see how dans would approach this.

Me, but not right now, maybe in two or three hours

1 Like

Maybe @Vsotvep vs @le_4TC

Anyone who want to watch

2020-07-09T21:50:00Z

2 Likes

Sorry,

Use this one

2 Likes

I often thought I would like such a variant, but I would have taken it even further, to multiple simultaneous moves in the earlier part of the game, where all the common points canceled, but any others survived.

I saw the demo game, but I am confused on how it could implement the full rules with simultaneous captures, which should be allowed, but cannot be represented as a game with sequential moves?

We played it on a demo board, where it’s possible to remove stones even if they’re not captured (just try placing a stone on top of another stone).

Perhaps you’re interested in joining this group. I was thinking of organising some kind of online get together to play a few more of these variants

1 Like