Go Wars VS Go Quest on Android

If you’ve already tried the app, why are you asking us for advice about which might be better?

Frankly, the description of Go Wars so far seems to firmly discourage me from ever wanting to try it, as it would appear to bring some of the worst recent trends of video games into the Go scene, specifically micro-transactions and pay-to-win. I really wish that beginners seeking to get into Go not be exposed such elements, which might discourage them and ultimately hurt the Go community, all just for the sake for an app developer to make a quick buck.

AI assistance isn’t some special exclusive benefit either. There are superhuman Go bots and analysis tools available for free as part of open source projects. However, I think the point of playing Go isn’t about winning as much as possible with the help of AI tools, but instead it’s about naturally getting stronger and understanding the game better, which actually requires losing a lot of games for the sake of experience. AI tools and analysis can be helpful as learning tools, but I think they are best used for only post-game analysis and study rather than as a crutch during games against other humans.

I have not tried the app, but based on the description above, I think I can still reply and share my opinion. If the app is actually as you’ve described, then I regret it’s existence and wish that people would not promote it to beginners.

3 Likes

I suspect you gave the answer to that yourself:

Given OPs history, the topic is some kind of advertising.

Also at least 3 of the accounts in favour of Go Wars are the same person :man_facepalming:

8 Likes